Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Hello everyOne!
            I'm using this [ http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
] board that was originally shipped with 2.4 version. 'uname -a' gives
me following output:

Linux (none) 2.4.18-rmk7-pxa1 #268 .. 7.. 20 10:37:42 CST 2005 armv4l
unknown

No i want to upgrade it to 2.6x version, very first i have downloaded
and configured the cross platform toll chain as explained here [
http://www.schnozzle.org/~coldwell/toolchain/ ]. Then i followed this
[ http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/docs/kerncomp.php ] great HOWTO to
compile the kernel. With 2.6.20 everything went smooth and i got a
newly compiled zImage right in my arch/arm/boot directory. After
startup:

  XYZ Technology Co.Ltd Copy Right Reserved

IRQ Stack: 33fc149c
FIQ Stack: 33fc249c
1
1
DRAM Configuration:
Bank #0: 30000000 64 MB
1
NAND:64 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
zImage magic = 0x016f2818
NOW, Booting Linux......
Uncompressing Linux...

bad gzip magic numbers

 -- System halted

Sometimes it is "ran out of input data" error message rather "bad gzip
magic number". Now IIRC there is no patch for 2.6.x and ARM support is
directly available in the mainstream kernel. So where and what i'm
missing here? and is there anyway to know what exactly is happening?

Regards,
ali

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Here they explained how to build a toolchain for ARM with Linux kernel
2.6.10. Why don't you try linux kernel 2.6.10 and apply those patches?

I am not using ARM, but when I built my cross chain for i386 platform, I
used patches from the buildroot.

You might try these two suggestions and see how it goes

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Hi Anon,
        Thanks for response _but_ IMHO there is no patch (From Russel)
for 2.6.1 onward though there are some for 2.6.0 as can be seen here
[ ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/source/kernel-patches/v2.6 /
]. I might be wrong so please can you forward the right link?

Snip fro Anon:

patches from the buildroot.

Any web link to tool cahin that you are using? any help will be
appreciated.

thanks,
ali

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Yes, I saw it

patches from the buildroot.

I made a script which automatically build my tool chain, and as I said I
used patches from buildroot. Their website is:
http://buildroot.uclibc.org /

This page also helped me lot:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel
[http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
used patches from the buildroot.
lot:http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html

Hey Anon,
              Thanks for pointers;-)
Doh! i'm gettign the same error after efforts of 2 days!
Yes the following error:
_____________________________
 Uncompressing Linux...

bad gzip magic numbers

 -- System halted
_______________________________

ANy thoughts? Now i'm using http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ for
filesystem and zImage. Their 'menuconfig' utility is really very
handy. DO  you think i need to use another bootloader ? as i'm using
the same old one.

ali

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel
[http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
used patches from the buildroot.
lot:http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html

Hello

When I was upgrading my Linux kernel, I made sure all kernel parameters
are exactly the same (off course, for new I would decide).

Have you check BIOS parameters? I saw there is this on your board web page:
    LINUX software identity:
    BIOS:
    bootloader
    Xmodem
    Update Flash
    Set Kernel Parameter
    Set Partation
    etc.

Besides these two links I provided you, I was very lucky to make my
board run in short time.

I do not have more pointers. Maybe someone else?

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel
[http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
used patches from the buildroot.
lot:http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html

Glad to hear you, i tried to have new bootloader [
http://u-boot.sourceforge.net/
] but that didn't work too;-) Anon, can you please elaborate a bit
more about BIOS parameters? and where should i set those parameters?

BTW, what is following field meant for in buildroot's "menuconfig":

0) Board Support Options "Very last option from main menu"
   0.1) Linux Kernel "First Option of submenu"

I guess it should be blank , right?  I'll appreciate if someone can
point me to the right settings for "menuconfig" utility according to
my board.

thanks,
ali

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel
[http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
used patches from the buildroot.
lot:http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html
http://u-boot.sourceforge.net/

Check the manual for your board how to access BIOS. But if it works for
the previous kernel, then those parameters are most likely good.

I don't think it should be blank

Have you tried contacting people who sold you the board about the linux
update?

Re: Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel
[http://www.embedon.com/producte/2410-2-study.htm
I used patches from the buildroot.
lot:http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/index.html
http://u-boot.sourceforge.net/

Anon, thanks for fast response.

Then what should be in this field? should i go for "new .config"
option or "kernel binary format" ;-) IIMC in those fields  i need to
provide path string.

Yes i did that but all in vain. They are * and don't even care to
reply. And the worse case is that the document and manual shipped with
board are all in Chinese;-) ah, damn me don't know even an alphabet
about Chinese language. Anyway thanks for your help so far.  Maybe
someone here might just showup with same problem.

thanks,
ali

Site Timeline