learning about linux drivers for 2.6 kernel

Hi,

Is there amy good documentation on how to write a device driver for 2.6 kernel?

Reply to
john smith

See the linux kernel mode programming guide for 2.6:

Cheers, Guy

Reply to
guy9780

There's also Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition, O'Reilly 2005.

It may be easier to read than the LDP's guide.

Regards, Guy

Reply to
guy9780

I read both those docs many times, now I would like to write some real driver/module for Linux, I have Linux PC also, also I have two more extra NIC cards, can somebody suggest me how can I write something it works practically (I have Linksys router, can I replace something by implementing on my linux PC), I need to see my own printk's in /var/log/messages, also I should get some shelf satisfaction that not only I know theoritaically, also practically, I can tell somebdoy that I did some some practically in Linux, so that I can get some work,

Can some expert suggest me how can I do something practically or for the current NIC driver (or bridge files) can I make some changes, or can I add extra proc commands so that I can look those commands working or not, please suggest me, Million/Billion thanks for you guys. Mainly I like Networking/Routing part. Just give me a hint to write something in kernel.

Sorry for my poor explanation.

Reply to
GS

Is there any Linux Guru (Pundit) was there who can answer my above question. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GS

No guru, but I have also gone down this road in the past. If you are specifically wanting to do something interesting under Linux, with a NIC, at the driver level, check out the following link:

In it, the author walks through the development of a custom NIC driver step-by-step (from the point of accessing the NIC over the PCI bus). Its very detailed, and was great when I was getting started. Note: It is for the 2.4 kernel, but the vast majority of the code can be utilized under 2.6 (the driver model hasn't really changed THAT much, and if you have even written the most basic 2.6 driver, you should be able to get this running under 2.6).

HTH, John O

Reply to
john.orlando

John, I read this link, it is very interesting (if I have my own Intel NIC card, can I do any type of programming with this NIC card), do you have any links about some real module/kernel module programming, also some application which interacts with that module. Thannks in advance.

Thanks.

Reply to
GS