PC104 Memorycard?

Hi all,

i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something
similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an
linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another
pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users
of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without
shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to
avoid.

So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write
it in cycles to the harddisc. But we cannot find such a board. Anybody has
an idea?

Thanks in advance, Jens
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf

first hit is http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts-nvram-h.htm

-Michael

Re: PC104 Memorycard?
Michael Schnell schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 14:17:

Thanks, Michael, nvram was the word i didnt guess. I was alays looking for
sram.

regards, Jens

--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf
Re: PC104 Memorycard?

Better yet, contact Technologic Systems (embeddedarm.com) and buy a
TS-7300 or 7400.  It comes with an SD card slot.  They also make a NVRAM
PC-104 board.  And they make a PC-104 battery backup board; just enough
power to shut down the system gracefully.

--Yan

Re: PC104 Memorycard?
CptDondo schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 23:17:

Before we used to write the data to a harddisc we wrote them to a
compactflash-card. But we became massive problems with data-loss, today we
believe the reason was a combination of a bad designed ide-cf-adaptor and
the limited writecycles of flash memory. So we dont want to use any type of
flash-memory for constant data-collecting, therefore we even dont want to
use sd-cards.

The backup board would be an idea, but we will use an "ordinary" APC
Back-UPS now, which can backup some peripherals too.

The best idea i think is still the nvram-board.

regards, Jens
--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewŁnscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jens<punkt>nixdorf
Re: PC104 Memorycard?

I think there is an issue with CF cards and powerloss that isn't there
with SD cards.  ISTR something about the CF card spec not guaranteeing
that even a flush() will write the data out and that there is an unknown
time delay in writing data.  Perhaps someone here knows more?

--Yan

Re: PC104 Memorycard?

Any such flash device that does internal wear leveling and bad block
relocation is bound to serious failing if power is lost just after a
write request (whenever it is performing internal housekeeping).

-Michael

Re: PC104 Memorycard?

 >Hi all,

 >i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something
 >similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an
 >linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another
 >pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users
 >of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without
 >shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to
 >avoid.

Maybe try running sync from a cron job every second or 2?

 >So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write
 >it in cycles to the harddisc.

Make sure to run sync so the write cache is flushed.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky |       ||||      We sure       ||||    <>