modul library association

Kernel 2.6:

When I do a system with kernel modules, I create multiple kernel
versions for testing, and I use boot loader options to load one of them,
how does the system find the correct location for the modules' *.ko files ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Re: modul library association

Doesn't the kernel simply use something like

/lib/modules/$(uname -r)

to find the base directory for module files ?

/S
--
Stefan Naewe
naewe.s_AT_atlas_DOT_de

Re: modul library association

Sounds good.

That means I would need to change the uname for the different kernel
versions. How do I do that properly ?

Thanks,

-Michael

Re: modul library association

Sounds good.

That means I would need to change the Kernel Release name  for the
different kernel versions. How do I do that properly ?

Thanks,

-Michael

Re: modul library association

Huh?
You don't need to change anything!

Look at the output of 'uname -r' on different kernel versions.

/S
--
Stefan Naewe
naewe.s_AT_atlas_DOT_de

Re: modul library association

Thanks, I think found out what I need to do.

In the kernel configuration I set "general_setup" -> "local_version" to
some different texts to specify the different versions used in parallel.

-Michael

Re: modul library association

Now I'm with you!
You want to test the same kernel version with different configs.
Then 'local version' is the way to go ('uname -r' will give you different
results.)

/S

--

Re: modul library association

Great !
Thanks,
-Michael

Re: modul library association

Additionally I want to check different versions of (usually my own)
Kernel modules (loadable and not loadable).

-Michael

Re: modul library association

This does not seem to work, but maybe I do have some other booting problem.

I did a test on a desktop PC running SUSE 9.2 (running 2.6.11 before).

I compiled a new kernel and with "make modules_install" indeed the
modules were copied to /lib/modules/2.6.16-default/ .

Now I copied the new bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i368/boot/bzImage
  to /boot/bzImage_2.

I created a menu entry for grub in /boot/grub/menu.lst pointing to
bzImage_2. (I Know with lilo I would need to call lilo to activate this,
but grub seems to do without such an action.)

When booting, now I get an "insmod" error message that the modules in
/lib/modules/2.6.11-21.11-default/ are in "an invalid module format" for
the Kernel.

It seem that the new kernel uses the old setting for the module directory.

any help ?

-Michael

Re: modul library association

Hi Michael -

Why are you doing a manual copy to the boot directory?

If you do "sudo make install modules_install" the kernel build system
will correctly set stuff up. Then you need to modify the boot loader
(grub or Lilo) to tell it the name and options.

You may also have to create an initrd file depending on how your distro
set up the boot. Use google for instructions for that, they vary per
distribution.

Regards, Steve

Re: modul library association

After some more trial and error I found, that, when I do "make install"
_both_ with the new system _and_ with the old one, I can switch between
them using a GRUB menu. (details see the comp.os.linux.setup group.)

Thanks,
-Michael

Site Timeline