modul library association

Kernel 2.6:

When I do a system with kernel modules, I create multiple kernel versions for testing, and I use boot loader options to load one of them, how does the system find the correct location for the modules' *.ko files ?

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Michael Schnell schrieb:

Doesn't the kernel simply use something like

/lib/modules/$(uname -r)

to find the base directory for module files ?

/S

--
Stefan Naewe
naewe.s_AT_atlas_DOT_de

Sounds good.

That means I would need to change the uname for the different kernel versions. How do I do that properly ?

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Sounds good.

That means I would need to change the Kernel Release name for the different kernel versions. How do I do that properly ?

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Huh? You don't need to change anything!

Look at the output of 'uname -r' on different kernel versions.

/S

--
Stefan Naewe
naewe.s_AT_atlas_DOT_de

Thanks, I think found out what I need to do.

In the kernel configuration I set "general_setup" -> "local_version" to some different texts to specify the different versions used in parallel.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Now I'm with you! You want to test the same kernel version with different configs. Then 'local version' is the way to go ('uname -r' will give you different results.)

/S

Reply to
Stefan Näwe

Great ! Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Additionally I want to check different versions of (usually my own) Kernel modules (loadable and not loadable).

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

This does not seem to work, but maybe I do have some other booting problem.

I did a test on a desktop PC running SUSE 9.2 (running 2.6.11 before).

I compiled a new kernel and with "make modules_install" indeed the modules were copied to /lib/modules/2.6.16-default/ .

Now I copied the new bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/i368/boot/bzImage to /boot/bzImage_2.

I created a menu entry for grub in /boot/grub/menu.lst pointing to bzImage_2. (I Know with lilo I would need to call lilo to activate this, but grub seems to do without such an action.)

When booting, now I get an "insmod" error message that the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.11-21.11-default/ are in "an invalid module format" for the Kernel.

It seem that the new kernel uses the old setting for the module directory.

any help ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Hi Michael -

Why are you doing a manual copy to the boot directory?

If you do "sudo make install modules_install" the kernel build system will correctly set stuff up. Then you need to modify the boot loader (grub or Lilo) to tell it the name and options.

You may also have to create an initrd file depending on how your distro set up the boot. Use google for instructions for that, they vary per distribution.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
stevecalfee

After some more trial and error I found, that, when I do "make install" _both_ with the new system _and_ with the old one, I can switch between them using a GRUB menu. (details see the comp.os.linux.setup group.)

Thanks,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell