need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is ...

Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core
based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also
doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested
with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from
kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace
old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not
sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we
are using  dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte
IP address on LAN side, any changes do we need to do for this, new to
2.6 kernel, don't know much, can some experts suggest any precautions,
thanks in advance.

Re: need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?
Of course, at least all loadable modules need to be replaced, too.

-Michael

Re: need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?
A lot of network and filesystem related programs might need to be upgraded or
reconfigured too.

Re: need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?

You may also want to upgrade the modutils package (insmod etc) in case
you want to play around with modules. Also updation of system
libraries is recommended.

Site Timeline