need to migrate from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6 kernel, direct replacement of kernel image is Ok?

Currently using one of the leading Embedded Distribution on MIPS core based processor, this Linux is 2.4.20 Kernel, some customers also doing trails with this platform, but some new customers are interested with 2.6 kernel version, can we download 2.6 kernel version from kernel.org and make necessary changes whatever did for 2.4 and replace old kernel file "vmliux.gz.img" with new image, will it be Ok?, not sure how IP address conversion and all migrate, current 2.4 load, we are using dnsmasq package as DHCP/DNS server, which assignes 4 byte IP address on LAN side, any changes do we need to do for this, new to

2.6 kernel, don't know much, can some experts suggest any precautions, thanks in advance.
Reply to
tvnaidu

Of course, at least all loadable modules need to be replaced, too.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

A lot of network and filesystem related programs might need to be upgraded or reconfigured too.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

You may also want to upgrade the modutils package (insmod etc) in case you want to play around with modules. Also updation of system libraries is recommended.

Reply to
Rajat