INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" on Slackware on a CompactFlash

Hi

I'm trying to make a few scripts that installs Slackware 10.1 on a CompactFlash card. Because of flash issues, I create a ramdisk (on 40 MB) on which I boot. I tell LILO about the ramdisk (location, size and device name).

When booted I should have a file structure as the following:

bin/ boot -> fl/boot/ dev/ etc/ fl/boot/ fl/lib/ fl/opt/ fl/usr/ home/ lib -> fl/lib/ mnt/ opt -> fl/opt/ proc/ rd/ root/ sbin/ sys/ tmp/ usr -> fl/usr/ var/

/fl is the mount point for the write protected CF disk. This means that boot, lib, opt and usr is located on the CF disk, and everything else is located on the ramdisk.

When I try to boot the system, I get the following messages:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

INIT: version 2.84 INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" INIT: Entering runlevel: 3 INIT: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.M" INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty" INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty" INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty" ... INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

... and then nothing happens...

I can see it finds /etc/inittab, because if I try to start another script than rc.S, I will see the same change in the error message.

When INIT starts, the CF card has not been mounted, as far as I know this is done in rc.S. But I cannot see that this should lead to trouble...

I tried to make the install without the ramdisk, and then it boots with no problems, and I will get a nice login prompt.

Anybody knows what is going on here? Any suggestions for how I can debug this are very appreciated.

Best regards

Tue Henriksen

Reply to
Tue Henriksen