how to create a partition

I have a hot-swappable flash-disk in our devices. Does anybody knows,
how to create/modify a partition of such a device? (I found no
fdisk-command line parameters to do that).

Thank's in advance,
Jürgen

Re: how to create a partition
: Hi,
: I have a hot-swappable flash-disk in our devices. Does anybody knows,
: how to create/modify a partition of such a device? (I found no
: fdisk-command line parameters to do that).

how is hotswappable different to other types?
Have you actually run fdisk and attempted to create a partition?
Was there a problem?

Re: how to create a partition

The user puts the CF-card into the device and the software should copy
some data on it. Therefore the CF card needs to be partitioned and
formatted with a filesystem. Formatting is no problem, but I have no
idea, how to create/change partitions from my program.

Jürgen

Re: how to create a partition
: J Jackson schrieb:
: > : Hi,
: > : I have a hot-swappable flash-disk in our devices. Does anybody knows,
: > : how to create/modify a partition of such a device? (I found no
: > : fdisk-command line parameters to do that).
: >
: > how is hotswappable different to other types?
: > Have you actually run fdisk and attempted to create a partition?
: > Was there a problem?
: >

: The user puts the CF-card into the device and the software should copy
: some data on it. Therefore the CF card needs to be partitioned and
: formatted with a filesystem. Formatting is no problem, but I have no
: idea, how to create/change partitions from my program.

The CFDISK will have a device file name e.g. /dev/sda

 # fdisk /dev/sda

Then follow the menu system to create/modify/delete partitions

see http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition /

Re: how to create a partition

sfdisk

--