How could I run programs from ramdisk?

I want to make a ramdisk so that some programs can be run after the kernel
loaded.For example, I copy the /sbin/ifconfig from the rehhat system to
initrd(to /bin/ifconfig),and add line "/bin/ifconfig eth0 up" in the
linuxrc.
   But when running ,it failed:ERROR:/bin/ifconfig exited abnormally!
   MY QUESTION:
         How could I run /sbin/ifconfig correctly in initrd?  which
configuration should i add?
   Thanks!

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?

Unless it is statically linked, /bin/ifconfig (usually /sbin/ifconfig)
needs the C library (e.g. libc.so.6) and the dynamic loader
(e.g. /lib/ld-linux.so.2). The dynamic loader also needs a couple
of support files (see man ld.so).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?
also i beleive to run ifconfig u will need the proc filesystem
just my 2 cents

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?
Tauno.Thanks for your suggestion.
But I compile the file "ifconfig" as a static file.
it failed again,The Error is :
eth0:unknown interface:no such device!

why the eth0 can't be find?
Thank you.
??????:gWj_d.390$ snipped-for-privacy@read3.inet.fi...

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?

You do not have the Ethernet card driver compiled
in the kernel and a module driver is not loaded
yet.

Would you please tell why you need to get the
interface up before the root file system is
available.

If you're attempting to run with a NFS-mounted
root file system, get and read the following HOWTO's
from the Linux Documentation Project:
  - Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO,
  - Diskless-root-NFS-other-HOWTO

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?

Alan. May I suggest you to look at one of these tiny floppy based
distributions? Most (if not all) of them are ramdisk based and can
provide you with a template for what you need, assuming I understood
your question. You may also get the ramdisk image from a boot disquete
generated with syslinux, such as debian's or redhat's.

Regards.

Elder.

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?
There are lots of examples and development tools, as using Floppy,
network or Boot-Flash as a boot medium usually asks for having the root
filer system in RAM.

I once successfully tried ELINOS as a "distribution maker", with all
three (Floppy, Network and Boot-Flash). It comes with tools to create a
file system and uses free booting code.

-Michael

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?

??????: snipped-for-privacy@viruswall.lumino.de...

Michael,could you tell me the name of development tools or show me some
examples ?
 Thanks for your help.
                               Alan

Re: How could I run programs from ramdisk?

www.elinos.com

http://www.elinos.com/fileadmin/pdfs/datenblaetter/pdf_Elinos_v30_en.pdf
talks about several boot strategies, all of which use RAM base root file
systems: e.g. ROLO (a free open source tool by the ElinOS makers "SysGo"
boots from a boot flash.

-Michael

Site Timeline