Help selecting a single board computer.

I want to learn embedded linux. I have a limited budget (around 100
bucks) so I cant risk buying a single board computer then find out
later that it isnt supported by an embedded linux distribution.

My goals are to gain experience with...
- embedding linux
- ARM processor
- TCP/IP programming.
- device driver development

I dont want a turn key solution but at the same time I dont want to
pull my hair out.
It would be great if I could start with a bare bones kernel from
www.kernel.org that has support for the board I purchase but how do I
figure this out? How do I determine if board X is supported by linux
distribution Y?

I would like to work with a hardware platform that is well supported
so that when I try to build the embedded software from scratch I can
get my questions answered easily.

I have a spare PC that I can use as a linux development station to do
cross compiling on but there are so many choices for the development
environment and linux distribution that I need some help in making a
decent choice here as well.

Can any recommend some hardware that meets my goals and also tell me
how to pick a linux distribution for the single board computer as well
as a linux distribution for the development PC?

Thanks so much
AL

Re: Help selecting a single board computer.

Not sure if you'll make it with just $100 but these seem to be getting
fairly close to what you want:

- a Fox board: http://www.acmesystems.it/?id=4
- Technologic Systems's ts-7400 http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts7400 -
spec-h.htm
- Glomation Inc.'s GESBC-9302 http://www.glomationinc.com /
product_9302.html

Judging from their websites, linux support looks good. I'm currently
playing with a ts-7400 and it's a great board, great linux support.

Re: Help selecting a single board computer.
Hey, you could always get a GP2X...those are kind of fun.  They lack
an ethernet device, but you can still do TCP/IP through loop back or
over serial.

Ben

Re: Help selecting a single board computer.

If you do not need graphics/video hardware, a Linksys "SLUG" (NSLU2)
could be a good starting point. See:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org /
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid11%15416906769&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Roberto Waltman