Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

hi,

              I am very new to the Embedded Linux World. I am searching
for an Embedded board which supports Linux but all the boards I saw are
much expensive than I think.

        So anyone please suggests some cheapest embedded board
available for Linux which cost less than around $180. I suppose that
the board supports a pci slot, Compact flash, serial, parallel,
ethernet etc or as a start up kit anyone can specify boards without
this specifications.

                      Thanks in Advance,

                                   Daskin P Novel.

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

You need to provide a bit more information.

Some questions to get you started:

Do you need your embedded board to be battery or mains powered ?

If battery powered, what kind of power budget do you have ?

Do you have constraints on the physical size of the board ?

Must it be x86 based, or are lower powered alternatives such as ARM suitable ?

How much memory do you need ?

A couple of starting places for boards:

Google for Mini-ITX. There is also Nano-ITX, but at this time, that is a
work of fiction. (Nano-ITX has been announced for 18 months, and we may
finally see shipping product during the summer.)

One place for Mini-ITX is http://www.mini-itx.com

One place for an ARM based board can be found at http://www.embeddedarm.com

[BTW, These are not recommendations as I have no experience of buying from
either of these places so do your own research before handing over money
if you decide to use one of the above. :-)]

HTH,

Simon.

Microsoft: The Standard Oil Company of the 21st century

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.
<Do you need your embedded board to be battery or mains powered ?>

Main powered

<Do you have constraints on the physical size of the board ? >

no

<Must it be x86 based, or are lower powered alternatives such as ARM
suitable ?>

        Any of the processors supports linux and great community
support with many totorials.

<How much memory do you need ? >
64MB Ram and 32 MB Flash

Hardware spec:-

2 com port, usb, PCI, VGA, audio in/out, keyboard, mouse, LAN.

Requirement:- It is possible to port tinyX, some network utilities,
custom x-clients developed by users, hardware interfacing examples,
multimedia etc.

        To expand the possibitily of Embedded Linux usage it require a
low cost embedded board and hence every one can access it and they can
produce their on products of wide range including games, multimedia,
custom hardware interacing or any custom application according to the
users.

           If anu suggestion please specify.

                   Thank you,

                          With regards,
                                        Daskin

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q =

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

You should probably look at the Mini-ITX boards that I pointed you to
earlier, using something like a Compact Flash to IDE adapter if you really
do need a flash based boot.

Been x86 based, they draw a lot of power (by embedded standards), but as you
are not using batteries that won't be a problem. On the plus side, they are
cheap. In the UK, the lowest board in the range costs 65-70 UKP (you need to
add memory, a power supply and a boot device).

I am not familiar with tinyX, but it appears to just be a cut down X-Windows,
so I don't see why you can't get it working on Mini-ITX. Google to see if
others have already done it.

http://gumstix.com /

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.
hi,

             Thank you for the sugession. Is it possible to port tinyX
to the board. Do you have any experience with this board and if yes,
what kind of product u had developed please tell me how easy it is to
use for development.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

Unfortunately, I think you need some experience with electronics (which I
don't have...yet), unless you just use the other sticks to "stick"
together ;-) to build a full app.

Dunno, I might buy some and have a play, but I've never used one. They
have a forum and stuff.

Luke.

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

Probably considering there's a lot of RAM 32-64Mb and a huge flash 8Mb (I
think).

It'll be easy to fit something like that into it. Although, you would have
to provide a video output of some sort, which is where the electronics
will come in as AFAIK there is no video card for the gumstix.

But if you can get a chip, you can probably build one yourself.

Luke.

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

Rocky boards are fairly easy to get and come in a wide range from 386 SX up.
I have some Rocky R318 boards that have linux in Flash and all they do is
take input from ethernet and convert it to another protocol and squirt it
out, they work fine.

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.
Could someone here plz tell me a cheap embedded board that supports
linux and available in INDIA !!

Tonnes of thanx in advance,
karthik bala guru

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

Would you settle for one with tech support available in India?

Re: Help me to find a cheapest Embedded board which supports Linux.

Soekris makes some nice boards that are supported by Linux and have been
used to build all sorts of things.

Check out this one in particular:

http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

Site Timeline