Beginner questions: Linux for Embedded Planet RPX Lite boards

I'm thinking of buying a **cheap** Embedded Planet board to learn about embedded Linux development. I'm not actually going to embed the board in anything, just play around with setting it up and developing code for it. Secondary goal is to play with a non x86 architecture.

I narrowed my choices to: RPX Classic CC (CLCP 860) RPX Lite CC (LICE 850)

I'm leaning towards the LICE850 as it comes with built in Ethernet. [Assume I could plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card into the CLCP860?]

Base kernel support for these boards???? Looking at the Kconfig for kernel.org 2.6:

- RPXLITE supports the Embedded Planet RPX Lite MPC823 boards. Does it also support their MPC850SR boardsets such as the LICE850?

- RPXLITE supports RPX-Classic (MPC860) which I assume includes the CLCP860? I also noticed there is another config choice of RPXCLASSIC which supports the MPC860.

Is there a particular *free* ppc distribution that is recommended for targetting these boards? I'm assuming I will seperately need to get the DenX ELDK toolchain?

If anyone has any other tips/suggestions for a total beginner, I'm all ears. If there are better/cheaper hardware platforms or you know of a used board I'd be very interested to hear from you.

thanks in advance

Reply to
Tony Jones

which type are architecture is demanding in the market

x86 or other why? which type is easy to learn and play around with linux.

regards chandra

T> I'm thinking of buying a **cheap** Embedded Planet board to learn

Reply to
Blink