Inexpensive embedded board for Linux

I am looking to make a simple embedded device to run Linux, which has following components [approximately]:

386/486/586/Crusoe processor, Flash Mem (32MB+), SDRAM (32MB+), 1 parallel port, 3 serial ports, ATAPI connector (boot from disk for installation) and one Modem&RJ11 jack. Power consumption is not an issue. For display, we plan to use inexpensive LCD. Have you come across/can recommend any off-the-shelf board which has all these characteristics ? It is very price conscious, I can even spend some time assembling parts if it helps in bringing down the price.

Any links or references ?

Thanx a lot. -Ambarish Email: snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com

Reply to
Ambar

Very approximate indeed. The price span amongst those processors and the support peripherals they'll require is vast.

So you forgot to include the LCD controller in your list of materials there.

As long as you don't mind the modem being a separate board, there are hundreds of candidates in the sub-$200 price category. Try for instance Advantech PCM-4825.

If you want to build this device at a cost less than around $500 (including, say, 10.4" TFT-LCD), you will need a full custom design (and huge quantities). Look forward to spending a lot to get started with that project.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hi Lewin, Thanx for the response ! Yeah I need lcd, but not that expensive one ! A 4x16 character wide LCD will be fine. I dont mind modem being the separate board. The price is the most importact factor ! What is the lowest that I can go and still have Linux run on the system with all the peripherals I listed ? I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is under 100USD ? I am trying to find the lowest price tag possible, with a functional Linux. The application I am supposed to run on it just dials modem and send info.

Any references for the cheapest possible board ?

Thanx a lot ! -Ambarish Gupta

Reply to
Ambar

Ah, I see.

You won't get it for this price. At least, not running x86 Linux. If you can deal with ARM-Linux, try

their board comes down to just over $100 in quantity. It might be cheaper if you get a custom build without the video DACs etc.

So why does it need to run Linux, exactly?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I am sure you can get the price down, but not with off the shelf hardware.

Are intel chips reallly required, Arm or Motorola chips might be cheaper.

I haven't been following the Linux on a handheld, area, but that might be the cheapest method.

you might want to see

to see what internet appliences are out there that people have already done some linux work on.

I would be interested in your findings too.

Reply to
Carl Zmola