Examining Memory

I have a need to examine sections of live memory from the command line. I know there are two ways to access memory: /dev/mem and /proc/kcore. I need help understanding the difference between them (if any) and how to access this memory.

In one development group, we had a program (exa) that you could specify exa addr,size and it would dump in whatever format yoiu asked (hex - bin - dec - char or a mix). Does that ring a bell with anyone? I am working on a kernel that doesn't have a symbol table but I only need to locate some variables in my module/driver.

I am only going after kernel memory - not user memory so I don't need to be concerned with virt to phys stuff.

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill Touchstone