Memory Map Viewer

Hi

Is there some tool to view a memory map out of a Intel hex-File or even better see where which var / function goes into memory out of the obj/s51/mem file of the compiler? It is a 8051 compiler. I know such a tool as Memory Map viewer from the Renesas M16 for these types of controllers.

Thanks and best regards, Franz

Reply to
McLion

I have written for my personal use a program that show the memory map of an hex file

drop me a line to m.colandrea@(NOSPAM)libero.it with your e-mail and I will send to you, it's written in VB6 and is 32KB long ( exe only without setup :-) ) should run on every machine because don't use strange things from VB6

to see the allocation of variables and function on object files I think you need to refer to the listing/mapping abilities of your assembler/compiler, in the hex files these information are not present.

please remove (NOSPAM) to my address

Reply to
mmm

Hi, for the memory map I use ACX Utility from JA (freeware); here's how it's described in the help file:

"By intention, Ascii Coded heX Utility (short: ACX Utility) is a viewer/simple-editor and comparer for binary contents of intel-hex and motorola s-records files."

By practice, tool got proof as a powerful file converter, too, because it not only can load differnt file formats.to view, but save view to any of formats as well

Normally compilers/assemblers have the ability to generate map files which show how data are placed in memory.

Reply to
Capoccetta

A hex file doesn't really contain a memory map. You can see the code memory occupied. No information about data memory usage, or anything else, though. Tools to do that include any installation of GNU binutils (command "objdump -x foo.hex"), or

Such a tool generally has to come with the compiler itself. Any decent compiler for embedded work will have the option to produce list and map files at compile and link time. Read your docs.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Franz, There are lots of 8051 compilers, most of them have an option to produce a memory map file,. If you don't have the docs for your compiler, perhaps if you psst the compiler's name or manufacturer hear, someone can help you find the correct option. First up, sight unseen, I'd try a "-m" on the command line (assuming a command line compiler).

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

"Chris Hills" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:nXlLm$ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.demon.co.uk...

Yes, it somehow does it. I can put the the map together from the many files it generates. However, like I said I was looking for graphical tool/aid like the one I know from Mitsubishi/Renesas.

Thanks anyway. Franz

Reply to
McLion