Embedded Systems with onboard FPGA and 802.11bg WiFi

Hi All,

I'm looking for a small embedded computer on-a-board system for a
final year university project on Swarm Robotics.

I have Googled around the Internet for quite sometime and while I have
come close to finding what I wanted, I still haven't been able to find
a kit/board/system which has all the features I need. The closest I've
come to finding a kit that matches my requirements, would be the
APF9328 or APF27 from Armadeus:
http://www.armadeus.com/english/products-processor_boards-apf9328.html

The Specs I'm most interested in are:

Dedicated Processor: ARM, Coldfire, Blackfin (anything capable of
running either ARMLinux or uCLinux)
FPGA (built onto the board): Spartan 3A,3E,6... decent number of gates
for video DSP & recognition
WiFi module: either 802.11b or g...

Other restrictions would be form factor (the hardware shouldn't be
bigger than 15x15x3cm (6x6x1.2") and of course price, as the system
must be as cheap as possible as it's a uni project & there needs to be
at least 6-7 of these SwarmBot running at a single time...

If you have any suggestions / products / solutions or recommendations,
you know what to do.

Cheers & Best Regards, Michael.

Re: Embedded Systems with onboard FPGA and 802.11bg WiFi

probably more $$ and more power than you need, but there will be some
single board solutions over at www.winsystems.com . A 2 (maybe 3) bd
'stack of PC104 bds might work for you too.

Re: Embedded Systems with onboard FPGA and 802.11bg WiFi

Not quite what you ask for but how about combining these two:
www.demandperipherals.com, and
http://www.chumby.com/pages/chumby_one

Bob Smith   (lead developer at Demand Peripherals)

Re: Embedded Systems with onboard FPGA and 802.11bg WiFi

http://www.armadeus.com/english/products-processor_boards-apf9328.html

There are a few at http://www.knjn.com/FPGA-FX2.html that are close to
meeting your requirements. A quick 'net search indicates that there have
been some ports of uCLinux to the LPC2138, so that works. The networking
is to 10BaseT modular connectors so you'd need a separate WiFi gizmo.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: Embedded Systems with onboard FPGA and 802.11bg WiFi
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I will end up going with the
board from Armadeus as it allows the best customisation.

On top of this all the connections are mapped out using a Hirose
connector making it easy to build an add on board. - Not to mention
their is a direct connection between the processor bus and FPGA
allowing very efficient data transfer for video and DSP control
processing.

Guess the university will just have to suck it up if they want this
project done.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

- Cheers, Mike.

Site Timeline