Can I boot PowerPC without JTAG?

Is it possible to build an application over PowerPC and download to board without the use of JTAG?. I have a non Xilinx Board with a Virtex II Pro, and at the moment I have not Parallel Cable IV so I use an application on the PC to download Bitstream to board. I have probed with VHDL designs and all is ok, but when I try to download a PowerPC design with a TestApp_Peripheral C Application it seems like powerpc doesn't work (doesn't boot). Must I use JTAG? Is it possible to create a bootloader or init bram without that cable?

Thanks

Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

If you put the TestApp_Peripheral program into BRAMs in the FPGA, you should not need JTAG to be able to run it. Two things to check are:

Is the linker script set up to locate your program in the BRAMs? On my system, the default linker script wants to put code in the lowest memory, which is off chip for me.

Did you run the "BRAM Init" feature of EDK to merge the program into the FPGA bitstream? Pay attention to any warnings here. It will tell you if part of your program is not located in on chip memory.

As for initilizing off chip memory, that depends on your card. On my cards, we use a boot loader that is in BRAMs to load the rest of the software off of a MiniSD card.

Regards,

John McCaskill

John McCaskill