[WANT] USB > Serial adapter (plugs into RS232 port)

I have a device with cable having a USB connector to plug into a computer. I want to get a USB-to-Serial adapter so I can plug the device into a computer's serial port (9 pin). This is backwards from modern times, when companies are offering devices to convert a serial connector to USB to plug into a computer's USB port. _I am looking to take a USB connector and plug into a Serial port_.

Any leads would be most helpful. This would at least be used for a laptop.

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Ehrlich

I guess you don't have a spare PC card slot for one of these...

Many other makes/types available.

Reply to
CWatters

You are not going to find such an animal.

The devices you see are not simply plugs with wires; they contain electronics that are driven by drivers on the host computer that provide a "virtual" serial port that is mimicked by those electronics.

To do the reverse ... plug a USB device into a serial port ... is simply not feasible as there is no established way to make electronics and device driver support to create a virtual USB hub.

Reply to
Mike S.

I'll agree with Mike.

If one was available, though, it would probably be from Lantronics.

_But_, AHBPO, even if you get one you are going to have one hell of a time getting the device driver in the computer to work correctly via the serial port.

Your best solution is to change to a different computer or device (printer, whatever).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

You can buy a two-port USB adapter card for $3.87 ;-)

...Jim Thompson