want a simple ladar detector

Also wildly inaccurate. Borrow a mate's GPS and compare.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Heed your own advice, troll.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do you call someone a troll because their opinion differs to yours, ignoramus?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

ignoramus?

While you continue to call people names who expose your lies and ignorance.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've got a GPS and the speedometer reads slightly high as all of them do.

[plonk]
Reply to
Bob Parker

The GPS will probably give a slower speed reading than the true reading if you are driving in anything other than a straight line, since it only samples positions at discrete intervals and might just use linear interpolation to work out a path between the positions for estimating distance travelled.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

ignoramus?

I have not lied on this group. Point out the proof.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Exactly what I said.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Mine doesn't do that. Perhaps the intervals are so close togehter it doesn't matter. If I walk along the street with it, it can tell the difference betwen two points a metre apart.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

In message , Peter Hucker writes

Almost all are now electronic, derived from the ABS sensor. Even my 10 year old people carrier is but the speedo is still inaccurate, over-reading by 10% at 70MPH. And before Mr Terrell chips in, it's an American made vehicle owned by a Brit.

Which is tiny providing you're not running on flat tyres. Calibration is another matter entirely, the speedo on the car I got rid of four months ago (which was 4 years old) had a distinct 'bump' in the calibration around 70MPH which meant that at 65MPH it was almost spot on, by 70MPH it was 8MPH over and by 85MPH it was again almost spot on.

To put to bed the stories about GPS being inaccurate;

Specifically section 5 on page 8. Conclusion, GPS is 10 times more accurate than the average speedometer. Even on a non-straight course.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

is

I don't see why they should be inaccurate at all if derived from an ABS = sensor. Those things produce about 40 pulses per revolution of the whee= l. All the computer needs to know is the circumference of the tyre and = the number of teeth on the pickup wheel.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http:=
//www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

they are headed to a different country?

If they can't do the simple math to design an accurate speedometer, the rest of the car won't be any better. If a critical safety component is crap, the whole vehicle is. Next, you'll try to convince me that Lucas made the best automotive electrical components in the world.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

they are headed to a different country?

It is not a critical safety component. Even if you insist that exceeding the speed limit automatically makes you have an accident, they always OVERread, hence if you sit the needle on the limit, you are not speeding.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

In message , Peter Hucker writes

I agree entirely, they should be accurate providing you've not done something stupid like fitting different size wheels but the speedo on the car I have just got rid of had a definite 'bump' in the calibration which I can only assume was put there on purpose because I can think of no other reason for it to go non-linear.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

What is the final output stage? Is it a moving coil meter? Perhaps it was just sticky?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

In message , Peter Hucker writes

No, it was a company car and it was repeatable across several of my colleagues cars. I *think* it was a stepper motor but I don't know and wouldn't want to say for definite.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to