want a simple ladar detector

Can you build a simple ladar detector using a standard 3pin IR receiver with built in preamp of the type used in a lot of home audio/video appliances? Or does it have to be a super sensitive one? If so, then some part numbers would be appreciated. And a schematic if one exists. Thankyou in advance. Peter

Reply to
Peter

Ladar detector?? - as in Laser Radar?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" "Peter"

** No.

The OP is obviously very superstitious, a bad speller and blind.

What he actually wants is a " ladder " detector, so he can avoid ever walking underneath one and suffering years of bad luck.

Bet he asks for a black cat detector next.

Meooow......

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Wouldn't he ask for a "Blak kat" detector or similar.

--
Regards
Blue

walking underneath one and suffering years of bad luck.

Been done over 30 years ago! See Monty Python "Fish Licence" sketch about the Cat detector van.

TT

Reply to
TT

If you mean radar detector, as in speed cameras, don't. They don't warn you till it's too late, and they pick up loads of other crap, like the motion detectors on traffic lights to adjust timings, and something on petrol stations, and loads of other stuff.

Get a GPS and load a speed camera database onto it, it warns you a mile in advance, giving you plewnty of time to slow down. The database contains every single fixed and mobile spot and can be purchased for a couple of quid from various web sites.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Easier just to look, and avoid walking under them.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Correct I am talking about Laser speed dectection, hence the reference to an IR (Infra Red) receiver.

Reply to
Peter

The whole idea of using the laser is to let them pick out one vehicle to check speed. They have already caught you if you are speeding, so what good would it do? Are you planning to outrun them?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thankyou for being one of the few who took this question seriously. By "Ladar" I am refering to Laser speed detection. (And no I did not make the term up) As for "Radar", I have a GPS with fixed position speed cameras defined, so I'm fine there.

Most comercial Radar detectors nowadays also detect Ladar (Laser - OK!) So if anyone has one and feels game enough to open it up (this is an electronics newsgroup isn't it!) then if you post the InfraRed receiver part number, I can look up specs for it and compare to a run of the mill model.

Reply to
Peter

It's usually called LIDAR. There's not much point detecting it because the beam only illuminates the vehicle whose speed is being checked. The speed measurement takes only a few hundred milliseconds, leaving you no time to do anything about it. About all you can do is install some kind of LIDAR countermeasure system on your vehicle, which is no doubt illegal in most or all states. More info is at:

And many other internet sites.

Reply to
Bob Parker

What part of "They don't warn you till it's too late" didn't you understand? Peter is also correct when he says "and they pick up loads of other crap"

It won't work, forget it. The commercial ones are sold to a gullible public who want to believe such a thing can actually work.

And just to answer your question, no, you cannot use the 3 pin type IR receiver. They have a 38KHz bandpass filter, and hence will reject everything else.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There is no defense against laser speed detectors.

Reply to
PeterD

What's wrong with the GPS way? It covers all the known hideout spots. It doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Presumably it's meant to pick up stray particles fomr the laser when they are using it on the previous car.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Only if they know you have it. You can get ones that fool the lidar detector detectors the cops use.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Hucker

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

You are kidding, right? "All the known hideout spots..." All of them? Around here, that would be virtually the entire state, or at least that part of the state where are are roads, at least. Get real, speed traps are setup wherever the cop wants it to be.

Reply to
PeterD

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

Don't feed the troll.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Peter.... I have an instrument in all my vehicles that will eliminate tickets for speeding. It is called a speedometer. WW

Reply to
WW

Isn't that weird? I was thinking exactly the same thing. Cheap too.

Reply to
Bob Parker