UK.Free satellite TV.

I have recently moved into a block of flats in an area which cannot receive terrestrial digital TV so my set-top box is now useless. [The local antenna has not been upgraded to transmit digital TV.] The flats have a communal dish for Sky reception and each flat has a socket wired in. However, I should like to receive the 'free-to-air' programs only, which should be available without a card as the programs are not encrypted, but my local dealers have been unhelpful and insist that a card is needed and contract must be signed ......total about £150! Can anyone clarify this situation and advise me if a receiver can be obtained which will do this job without further complications?

--
John
Reply to

The message from John contains these words:

Hi John

If I understand you correctly then you have access to a signal that is the same as if you had your own dish and LNB, pointing at sky satalette (28.somthing east). If so then this is the facts:

  1. Connecting any sky digibox (without any card)to this signal will give you minimum BBC1,2,3,4 ITV3 plus many more . I also understand that any digital satalite receiver will also give you these channels (have not tried it my self)

  1. What you are been offered appears to be one off payment for freesat including box,dish and installation see

  2. Apply to sky for a freesat card try "For general queries call Customer Services on 08702 40 40 40". also check
    scroll down the page.

They are not advertising that you don't need to buy their package, if you have your own dish/signal and digibox then you only need the card. Further to this if you buy out right rather than a subsidised package you do not need a telephone line for their contract packages.

Hope this helps

Pete

Reply to
Nospam

Your local dealers are more interested in their commission than providing you with a good service.

Yes, you can buy a satellite receiver for free-to-air transmissions for under £100 from places like Lidl. Otherwise, get a copy of "What Satellite" and look ine the small ads at the back for a supplier near you.

--
rgds
LAurence

Thanks for the advice given. By surfing I found a supplier, not far from my home, whom I had not known and who supplies all kinds of satellite gear. The box supplied [less than £80] is up and running perfectly. Recently I was able to point my son at a local LIDL branch who were selling boxes at £40! He had a happy time when he found more than 600 stations available. I didn't have the heart to tell him that they probably include 590 heaps of junk. Thanks again.

--
John
Reply to