A Better Quality AM FM Receiver

Hi Group,

The apartment I live in has thick concrete walls, floor, and ceiling.

Over the years I've tried several different receivers but all to no avail.

I'd like to buy a better quality AM FM receiver, and would appreciate

any and all recommendations of particular brands and models which

are known to perform well under adverse conditions.

thanks for your help.

Reply to
lockmaven

Can you hang an antenna out the window? It may make a world of difference.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Unfortunately, an external antenna is not an option.

Can you hang an antenna out the window? =A0It may make a world of difference.

lockmaven

ide quoted text -

There are no windows? For FM it only has to be a few feet (fraction of meter) of wire. I've got a 80's JVC receiver that came with an AM antenna that's only several loops of wire on a bobbin with perhaps a

6" (15 cm.) diameter. Works great here in the sticks.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Buy a car radio and a suitable 13.8V powerssupply and put the antenna outside if possible or in one of the windows if not.

Jasen Betts

how do you get TV?

Jasen Betts

The antenna is a great idea of course, but I am still looking for a quality receiver to hook it up to.

---------------------------------------

lockmaven

He picks them up at a bar. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Get a car radio or tuner . . . Great! I say, - easiest way to get stereo FM into my shop (metal building) using low loss coax aimed at the automobile market (12' - how'd you think those stretched limos do it?) plus, after-market car radios are built with sensitivity in mind, and not terribly expensive.

Concrete is not necessarily a signal stop, the amount of moisture in it may be. If the concrete is concrete blocks with a modicum of moisture protection, no problem. Add real concrete with reinforcement bar anchored in mother earth and kept wet and you have a problem.

If you already have and love a receiver (one presumes the FM is the real problem, AM should go through concrete)_you need to get outside the building. Laws, lease agreements, rental agreements, etc. be damned. A simple folded dipole made from 300 ohm twin lead should be enough (search for it - takes roughly 4' of TL plus lead-in to the receiver). Throw it out the window.

Still not happy?

Read up on multi path (FM) and which directions the stations you want are in.

Then it gets more hinky . . . ditto HDTV. Then a shield that blocks an interfering signal (or multi path) may reduce average signal strength, yet improve reception. (read about multi path to understand how that works). All to do with geography and location and signal reflectors (buildings, water towers, mountains, hills, etc.)

And last but not least . . . a lot of FM receivers and tuners with outdoor or "compromised" antenna inputs (say from walking across a rug on a dry day and touching the antenna input) may be faulty. The junction field effect transistor is susceptible to static electricity.

Mainly outdoor antennas. from my repair experience. JFETS are great for FM front ends, but not bullet proof. The problem is, you need a good voltmeter and experience to troubleshoot them.

Generally you hear about, or have a customer who used to get WXXX but can't any more (or not since that big thunder storm last year . . .)

Reply to
default

--

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Sounds like the OP is in a prison block? Concrete walls, no windows!!!!!!! But agree any piece of wire attached may help!

Reply to
terryS