production eyeletting of component leads

Are they just slid over the pins , relying on friction while handling/placement and then at soldering it is assumed solder will get between the lead and eyelet as well as between eyelet and pcb pad ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Mark Bass amps (Italy) use no-name 0.25 inch input sockets (4 numeral molded underneath and 3 pin holes each side of the body) . Eyeletted before soldering but after desoldering with fresh solder, to aid pressed/eyeletted removal , 2 of the pins have no wetting and dull finish other than solder on the cut ends. One pin active , other pin just physical holding ,not electrical, but eventually intermittant contact of the active one.

Reply to
N_Cook

molded

pressed/eyeletted

solder on

OK. I always thought that the eyelets were pressed into and possibly swaged to the board instead.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

molded

on

OK. I always thought that the eyelets were pressed into and possibly swaged to the board instead.

?-)

I've never been in production but its easier to align eyelets singly onto pins of an IC or in this case socket than try to align all 16 pins of an IC into pin sized holes in eyelets already in an array in a pcb. IC socket pins , turned or sprung, have location wells to assist this, but eyelets don't

Reply to
N_Cook