thermal noise

How does one measure thermal noise in a resistor?

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

This is a complex answer. Noise must be compared to something, such as a standard. The noise in a component such as a resistor would be dependent on factors such as the temperature of the device, the current through the device, the applied voltage, the frequency of the voltage, waveform or structure of the applied voltage, and the humidity if the resistor is of a high enough value. These are only the simple attributes that I can think about at this time.

As for noise measurements, they are usually compared or scaled to some type of reference. You can measure the noise in simple volts, but this would be meaningless by way of definition unless you have a standard to compare it to. When publishing the noise factor, all the conditions of the test must also be specified.

--
Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg       GLG Technologies GLG
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

Simple comparative means are to measure noise at a given temperature, then change the temperature and try again. Since the thermal noise power in Hertz is equal throughout the frequency spectrum, you only need to worry about the values of k and T where k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is the temperature of the conductor in Kelvins.

Cheers!

Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page -

Sir Charles W. Shults III

: How does one measure thermal noise in a resistor?

: Ignorantly,

Connect to an RMS voltmeter at much lower temperature

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

: How does one measure thermal noise in a resistor?

: Ignorantly,

Connect to an RMS voltmeter with the voltmeter at much lower temperature and the resistor at nominal temperature.

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

This page has notes on how to do the experiment (scroll down to the subheading "Experiment" on page 3)

(Long URL may wrap and need repairing)

Colin

*
*