grounding

I have a device that comes with an AC adaptor, with the following description (whatever it all means): AC ADAPTOR CORD CONNECTED CLASS 2 POWER UNITS MODEL: TEAD-57-122000U INPUT: 120VAC 60Hz 36W OUTPUT: 12VDC 2A UL LISTED 4G38 E159614(T)

Then some diagram and MADE IN CHINA.

To me, it looks like a perfectly ordinary 2-prong adaptor. The instructions for the device that uses it (a shop machine with motors that run off the adaptor) say that it is important to ground it and that one needs to purchase a 3-prong adaptor and shows pictures of how it fits into a 3-prong wall socket.

I've done that in the past when I've connected stuff directly to wall sockets. There is usually a screw or something that one can use to connect a lead coming out of the 3-prong adaptor. However, at the moment, I want to plug it into a power strip and there is nothing to connect the lead wire to. So I'm not sure what to do.

Normally I wouldn't worry about it. I would just plug the 2 prong adaptor into the power strip and forget about the third hold. But I'm trying to do this as carefully as possible, including confronting possibly unnecessary details that might turn out to matter. So, with apologies in advance for what is undoubtedly the dumbest question of the new year so far, can someone please explain how to make sure the thing is properly grounded under these circumstances?

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

just use a water pipe, screw on the outlet box etc and connect it directly to the metal case of the equipment.

Reply to
Jamie

That sounds like "boilerplate", sometimes inappropriate, lawyer-driven, statements that are stuck on all products. It doesn't seem to have any applicabilty to your device. If you are a worrier just ground the damn machine and get on with it. Richard

Reply to
Richard

That was also my impression. Thanks for confirming it.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allan Adler

"Richard" wrote in news:1106141298.145970.263580 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

what were you doing reading the manual????

Reply to
me

It's an old habit from using learning programming languages. I tried to quit a couple of times, but it's really tough.

In this case, the device is an 8-in-3 multipurpose machine from Harbor Freight, model 40102.

It arrives in a (cardboard box containing a) styrofoam box and is nearly completely disassembled into almost 100 types of parts and this astonishingly misleading manual is the only clue you get on how to put them together. Some parts seem to be mislabeled and at least one part number seems not to be represented. There is an exploded diagram of the box and its contents in the manual, but due to aliasing errors, it is almost impossible to use it to identify anything. Thus, even determining which part numbers are represented has been a major undertaking.

On the other hand, it costs $200 (including S&H), which is cheap compared with what lathes and milling machines cost, and even though it is clearly just a toy, I think I'll be happy with it if I can just get it to work. I've put together the jig saw and the wood lathe, but some details of the metal lathe have me stumped, and there are several other machines I still haven't built from the kit.

The main problem with the metal lathe is making sense of how one attaches the tool to the cross slide. Otherwise, it is completely built.

In spite of these difficulties, I'm finding the experience pretty educational.

I can't post to rec.crafts.metalworking about it because: (1) I am undoubtedly the only person on the group who has ever demeaned himself to such an extent as to use this toy, hence people will be asking me about it rather than the other way around. (2) I promised that I wouldn't post to the group until I had built something, however small or crappy. It seems that the long discussions I was having in the hopes of getting a better set of inexpensive machine tools provoked some judgmental heckling that made it necessary for me to prove I was really interested in doing some metalworking. So, I'm proving it. This is no reflection on rcm, which I think is one of the best newsgroups in USENET by practically every standard I can apply, and I'm looking forward to getting active in it again.