spectral emmision lines looking for list plus info..tia sal

Greetings, All

I'm looking for a list of spectral emmision lines for all the elements is there a book or website that shows this? I would also like to know if there is a way to convert the spectral emmision lines from the elements into it's corresponding wavelenght?

Example if the spectral emmision line red shows up how can I convert this to it's proper wavelength value and its intensity? 700NM - 785NM? Has this been done already? If so can you point me to it?

TIA sal

Reply to
sal

First, Sal, you set the followup to "sci.chemistry" and there is no such group, at least on Supernews. Perhaps you meant "sci.chem"? My reply therefore is to all groups posted to, except sci.chemistry.

(I tried looking for a control message for sci.chemistry but the control message archive ftp.isc.org seems to be down at the moment.)

sal wrote in news:Xns96A4EEA73BBBEsalsppnet@140.99.99.130:

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, chapter on "Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics", section "Line Spectra Of The Elements". It contains data for neutral to quadruply ionized elements.

But since it's not a cheap book, here's one source for the data online:

The emission lines data is given in wavelength. Or do you mean to convert the wavelength into it's perceived color?

There is no easy way to convert a wavelength to a color by formula, like RGB values for display on a computer monitor. I've been down this road. There is a section in the LaserFAQ which has some graphs where you can get an idea of what wavelength is what color.

Look for "Color Versus Wavelength".

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean if you were to take a spectrum of something through a prism or diffraction grating, how do you determine the wavelength of those spectral lines? For that you need a calibrated spectrometer.

Brian

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Skywise

Skywise> CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, chapter on "Atomic, Molecular, Skywise> and Optical Physics", section "Line Spectra Of The Elements". It Skywise> contains data for neutral to quadruply ionized elements.

Skywise> But since it's not a cheap book, here's one source for the data online: Skywise>

Also,

is a spectral database with search capabilities. For some background material, there is the following publication:

---Tom

Reply to
Tom Yu