Recommend a switching regulator?

Hey all--

I have a 12V SLA battery that I am using to power a microcontroller. Can anybody recommend a good switching regulator that would provide peak current of maybe 200ma, and average current of 75-100.

I tried looking at digikey, but I don't know much about regulators and I couldn't really be sure that I was ordering the right part.

Also, what kind of support components does a switching regulator need? I'm ignorant of how a regulator works, but "switching" to me makes it sound like maybe it needs a few caps to smooth the output current..true?

Thanks, Mark

--
mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu

Take a look at Nationals Simple Switchers. They have a web based design utility (Webbench, you put in the desired input/output and it gives you a circuit with part values) that gives a good starting point for someone unfamiliar with switching supplies. Read the layout notes in the datasheets.

Switchers can use caps but I've not seen a switching regulator with a voltage much above 5V nominal that uses caps (that's regulator as opposed to inverter or doubler). Most switching regulators use inductors in the switching path.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett