Low Noise Switching Regulator

I need +11V from a +15V supply using a switching regulator since I dont have space for heat sinks for linear ones. The main concern is that I am using it for a video board and low noise is very important. I have looked at the Linear's LT3439, but they require an external transformer which is 2cm on the side (too big) and lots of other external components.

Any suggestions of low noise step down switching voltage regulators with low/small external parts?

Reply to
Kunal

I should have put in the Current required(sorry). I need >1.5A. Cost is not a limitation. I dont mind spending more on the regulator now rather than have my video all messed up later on.

The way I understand it is that the 'low noise' regulators are low noise because they smooth out the corners of the switching waveform and hence reduce harmonic energy and is not due to external component filtering. I have seen other low noise regulators on the linear site with low external component count.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kunal

Reply to
Kunal

You say you don't have room for heat sinks, implying that you're moving some hefty current. How much are we talking about?

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

Any switcher that produces very little noise is going to include "lots of other external components" since these will be needed to filter out the noise that is inherent in the operation of a switcher. A simple buck regulator will probably need at least two inductors and several capacitors in addition to the switching components and control logic.

What output current do you need? Is cost a serious limitation?

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Rounding the corners of the switching waveform reduces the highest harmonics that tend to radiate from any antenna. But it also decreases the efficiency, making it more likely that you will need heat sinks. But no amount of rounding gets rid of the interrupted current going into the buck regulator which conducts noise back out into the 15 volt supply and ground busses. I prefer to contain the radiated noise of fast switching, high efficiency designs with good layout and grounding techniques and shielding. Then I address the conducted noise with low pass filtering components on both sides of the regulator.

If you pick a candidate design, we can discuss how to apply those noise containment techniques on that example.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

How about syncing the switcher to the pixel clock in the video board so that the noise aliases to DC?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Maybe you could use the switcher to get down to 12.5 Volts and use an LDO or an LDO + NPN power transitor for the last 1.5 V?

Is there any airflow?

Also, don't forget that switchers also put noise on the power input voltage rail. So you will need to filter it, too. This increases the board space of a switcher to the point where it may not save space over a linear regulator, even for your 6+ Watt drop. Especially if there is guaranteed airflow.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I would try to go for a linear regulator. A switcher at 80% efficiency will dissipate 3.3W. A linear regulator will dissipate 6W. If you use

3 diodes to drop 1.8V (2.7W), you'll need to dissipate 3.3W in a linear regulator.
--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I'm talking to a UK transformer company at the moment, for the LT3439 since the coiltronics supplier in the UK have a MOQ of 300, and are not at all helpful.

I've been trying to catch up on transformer design (groan)and have come across Planar E cores from Ferroxcube, who now own the Philips breed. These cores sit in a cut out in the PCB.

and
This may save you some height.

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith