Re: What's that black dust in monitors?

You dont get that 'flowing out of some thunderstorms'

Pity it doesnt end up brown at all at that concentration.

Yes, but not at 1 PPM it aint, even thru 4 miles of it.

Irrelevant to what air with 1 PPM looks like.

Thats utterly mangled too.

And at 1 PPM it aint even visible.

And at 1 PPM it aint even visible.

Taint relevant to whether 1 PPM is visible. It aint.

All completely irrelevant to the visibility of 1 PPM.

Nope, fraid not.

You dont see that rising either.

Dont believe it.

Thats just smoke, not the jet black soot being discussed.

Pity it aint the jet black soot being discussed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:11:24 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

More immature baby bullshit from the twit that couldn't approach light speed with a light speed rail gun, much less exceed it with the "worldly" bullshit you bring to the table of life.

Again, dipshit... They are NOT "badly set up". They are set up rich for a reason. Get a clue. And NO, they do not pollute more.

YOU were badly setup, however.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Reams of your puerile shit flushed where it belongs.

The worst of them aint 'set up rich', f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Outgas black particulate" are your own oxymoronic words..

All plastics, and even metals, outgas to some degree varying with temperatures. Asian plastics and manufactured products in particular as used for much consumer electronics, contain a very high level of recycled low quality plastic, and leftover production chemicals. Other causes include:

Glad you sorted all that out finally..

Reply to
H. Dziardziel

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:19:10 +0900, H. Dziardziel Gave us:

No, dipshit. "Outgas" is yours. "Black particulate" is the subject of the post. You claimed that one was tied to the other.

Got clue?

Reply to
DarkMatter

plonk

Reply to
H. Dziardziel

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:28:49 +0900, H. Dziardziel Gave us:

The only thing more retarded than an idiot that cannot defend his position, is one that kill filters someone, because he cannot defend his position. The only even more retarded than that is the idiot that announces his filter file edits, as if someone else in usenet actually give a fat flying f*ck about it.

You are that retard.

Reply to
DarkMatter

You sure as hell do; lightning is one source of the stuff!

Same amount of NO2 that light has to pass through!

No, it's your knowledge of chemistry that is mangled.

Until you look through a couple miles of it.

"Brown Cloud" air pollution is nitrogen dioxide or nitrogen dioxide plus carbon particles fine enough to make things seen through the cloud look brownish due to scattering preferentially of blue light.

One source saying nitrogen dioxide plus fine carbon particles:

Another source saying nitrogen dioxide is responsible for "brown cloud" urban air pollution:

Just the first two hits of a Google search of "brown cloud" "nitrogen dioxide"! A few other hits whose summaries reported by Google appear to support nitrogen dioxide, whether alone or with really fine carbon particles, making air look brownish:

Are you calling me a liar? When it is visible, the finer stuff easily visibly rises!

Looks like you haven't paid attention to a few on the road!

So you say diesel trucks produce smoke other than soot and other than the gray "oil burning" stuff? And what else has a "gray-transparent" look when seen through and when finer, has a "diluted-milk-grayish-blue" but darker when illuminated by sunlight?

I can make soot fine enough to look bluish when illuminated by a bright flashlight by running a propane torch with the air intake holes blocked. I just tried that! Are you going to say that propane can make ash or tar particles?

Don Klipstein

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:30:28 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

True, and the :clouds" of it are at more than 1 ppm as well.

The guy is simpleton loon.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:30:28 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

We used to call those little floaty guys "dead soldiers". It is a common term in refrigeration circles as they "torch lines" on a regular basis.

Reply to
DarkMatter

I meant a layer of air 4 miles thick doesnt 'flow out of some thunderstorms'

Still aint brown at 1PPM, even thru 4 miles of it!

Bullshit. You dont ever get 'just two NO2 molecules stuck together more than being a different compound)'

Fantasyland chemistry.

It still aint brown even thru a couple of miles of it.

Wrong.

Particles of many kinds, actually. Doesnt have to be carbon.

Its that that produces the spectacular red sunsets with major fires.

Its wrong. Basic physics. Steve clearly aint gotta clue and his 'credentials' are complete duds as far as physics is concerned.

Thats the same one.

Nope, just one actually. And plenty of pig ignorant shit turns up on the web.

We'll see.

The first para of that says

Extremely small particles are the principal cause of the brown cloud. These tiny particles, too small to be seen without a microscope, are measured in microns, with one micron equal to about one-seventieth (1/70) of the diameter of a human hair. Particulate matter less than 2.5 microns, often referred to as PM2.5, is a significant cause of haze. Each particle, about the size of a single grain of flour, can float in the atmosphere for days, behaving much like a gas. Over half of the PM2.5 in Phoenix is caused by the burning of gasoline and diesel fuel in vehicles (sometimes referred to as on-road mobile sources) and in off-road mobile sources, such as construction equipment like loaders and bulldozers, locomotives, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and other devices that emit air pollution as they move1. PM2.5 particles containing carbon, like soot from tail pipes, are particularly effective in reducing visibility, because they both scatter and absorb light.

Which is exactly what I said, using a lot more words.

Doesnt say that the brown is primarily NOx

Doesnt say that the brown is primarily NOx

Pure political bullshit.

  1. Is it a brown cloud day? A brown cloud appears to envelop the scene but quickly thins out at higher elevations. Look at the particle and black carbon levels -- they are usually high. Ozone will be low and relative humidity may vary.

Doesnt say a damned thing about NOx being the cause of a visible brown haze.

Try again.

Nope, you just havent got a clue about the basics. Those dont rise like say smoke from a fire does.

Not far. THATS what matters.

Looks like you aint gotta clue about what's being discussed, whether that stuff rises that much.

A properly setup diesel engine does just that. Its only the badly setup trucks that generate high levels of the jet black soot you see inside monitors adjacent to the FBT, and as Ken pointed out, you STILL get that inside monitors, even when there are bugger all diesel trucks in use at all, let alone many setup that badly. So it cant be coming from diesel trucks.

Basic logic.

What was being discussed was how many diesel trucks produce much JET BLACK SOOT. You claimed that that somehow ends up in monitors. You cant explain why you STILL get that jet black soot in monitors even when there aint no diesel trucks in use at all, SO IT CANT BE COMING FROM THEM.

Basic logic.

Got SFA to do with whether the jet black soot you can see with badly setup diesel engines is what ends up inside monitors.

Nope. It doesnt produce JET BLACK SOOT normally either unless you completely stuff up the gas to air mixture.

And that doesnt happen enough for it to be the source of the jet black soot we see inside monitors.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I guess visible black soot and sickening smell don't count as pollution. It's probably healthy for us.

I have often thought that when diesel car owners make their purchase, they must first take a class in properly-sanctioned denial.

What type of car is yours?

Reply to
Richard Henry

I guess the reason is the exhaust is at the back.

If the exhaust were to be in the middle of the steering wheel, I guess cars would be much cleaner.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

From what I've read recently, this stuff is far worse than what is expelled by a typical gasoline engine, yet the EPA thinks it's peachy. Tighter regulations on diesel engines is coming.

DimBulb doesn't drive. ...too stoopid to pass the test. He chooses to pollute the Usenet instead.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nah. The driver would be much dirtier.

:-)

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

I think that if a steel spike were fitted where the air bag is there would be a lot less accidents.

Reply to
Mjolinor

There would be more fatal accidents. ;(

--