Re: Warning! Virus!

> >My Linux computer does not have any ad/spy-aware and anti > >virus software installed, yet I don't see any harm to my > >Linux computer after visiting the website. So, what's the > >deal? > > The Commodore 128 that I use to access the web (yes, I have > Slakware Linux and Windows 2000 boxes, but the C128 is more > fun and boots in seconds) also does not have any adware/spyware > or antivirus software installed. In fact, I see one common > factor to all of these viruses: Microsoft operating systems... > > >

What I don't understand is why it's not obvious to some people that if 95% of people use a particular OS, 95% of the viruses, spyware, etc will be for that OS. The OS itself has little to do with it, the biggest factor is the users themselves, both in number and habbits. A secure OS can be made insecure by sloppy usage, an insecure OS can be made reasonably secure with diligence. As always there's a tradeoff between convenience/usability and security. A bank vault door with a time lock as the only entrance to a house would be very secure, but how long would it take for the typical user to prop it open in the name of convenience?

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes, it's hard to corrupt a ROM based OS!

OTOH, the C-128 allows for direct access of things like the keyboard buffer registers, and allows for PEEKS and POKES direct to specific memory locations. I suspect that if some malicious dude (an Ohio Scientific owner with a grudge?) gave a rat's ass about bothering the microscopic C-128 user base, he could march in, play a tune on your floppy drive track-zero stop, and reformat whatever storage media you have.

But maybe you're actually running in the CP/M mode?

Ed wb6wsn

Reply to
Ed Price

The big player is targetted...why target .0001% (probably less) of the online population?

Do you actually believe that a virus can't be coded for a C 128?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre