Re: Thumbdrives - what's a good brand?

>>I have had my second thumbdrive fail. It's a 1 gig Imation. It started with >>files in folders becoming corrupted. ie. one folder had a lot of stuff in it

and

>these weird files appearing. and Explorer cannot delete them either.

I have several Imation thumbdrives in various capacities and have never had problems with them. However, I had symptoms similar to what you describe with two Exigo units purchased from CitySoft about 18 months ago. (Probably why CitySoft had them on special at the time. I suppose I could have fought the good fight and perhaps succeeded in getting a credit or having them replaced; but it was easier, and in some ways more satisfying, just to refrain from ever buying from CitySoft again.)

>So I formatted the drive and copied the data back onto it from backups. Then >>other problems appeared, all file related. > >>So I must assume that the unit's stuffed. > >>The likes of Harvey Norman have barrells of thumbdrives of various sizes and >>brands in the bargain bins as you walk in the door. Just wondering if any >>brands stick out whether for good reasons or for bad. > >Stick with SanDisk. I use an 8 GB one without a problem. The shit ones >break, had very bad device driver support, and will make Windows crash and >burn without warning.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
Reply to

and

I bought a 2GB Imation from the post office last week ($15). I could only get it properly recognised about once in every 10 times I plugged it into an XP laptop so I took it back. I didn't like it anyway, it didn't have a LED so I couldn't gauge activity. Took about 30 mins to finally walk out of the post office with my $15 refund. (Initially I got: "Sorry, we can only return these to our supplier if they don't work at all.")

I went to Betta Electrical and got a 2G SanDisk for $16; they had 8G advertised for $47.

--
John Savage                (my news address is not valid for email)
Reply to