what's a good place to start?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to building linux embedded systems, but I'm very curious, and a friend of mine has customized some PC's wich could perfectly use a linux embedded operating system. Now where should I start? I've build a few Linux From Scratch systems, but those are still way to big... Where do I start to make a real small, fast and stable system? say 10 Mb in size? Are there any howto's for this?

Greetings, Eric

Reply to
smeaggie

"smeaggie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40fe8290$0$42417$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

in size?

well, somebody in my old training company (he posts in thsi NG, too) teleld me that Elinos has an IDE. There you can develop nearly like in any other programming language.

I have used it myself for programming an radio link control interface...

maybe... try this

;o)

there are too many...

-- MMilitsch

Reply to
Marco Militsch

You should try taking a class from Karim Yaghmour or buying his book as a starting point. He does a great job of showing you how to build an entire distro from the ground up. Building Embedded Linux systems.... a must have for people starting out with Linux. There are multiple options for slimming down your distribution that are discussed in the class and the book. I personally thought the class was well worth the $$...

Best Regards,

Edwin Bland

Mb

teleld

Reply to
Edwin Bland

Does your desktop PC support booting from USB devices? If so, you can learn a lot with just a $20 USB "pen drive" and your desktop PC. No need to buy any new computer or install a development kit. Turn your USB disk into a bootable little Linux system. Some things to try:

  • Get it to boot to a command line.
  • Replace /sbin/init with your own program that does something interesting.
  • Run a GUI like KDrive or a program you wrote with Allegro.
  • Run Apache and some interesting webapp
  • Set it up so it just has a kernel and initrd image and boots into a read only filesystem in memory.
  • See how many different kinds of PCs you can get it to boot on, including configuring networking, audio, video, etc...
Reply to
Nick Popoff

Hi

Maybe you should have a look at

"

"

you can actually build a system in good time provided you don't mind spending a few $'s in getting the required infrastructure...a microcontroller kit..or even an FPGA prototyping board....

Cheers

Anand

anand