What's a good home improvement newsgroup?

Gents,

Any idea? If it has to be web-based, ok, I'd grudgingly use that. The only good forum I know there is the John Bridge web site but it's more for tile and concrete stuff.

Reason: A while ago I asked about Milliken Legato tiles here. Long story short I've bought and laid them right afterwards but not too happy with them. Quality issues. So I am looking for better ones. I normally would never lay carpet tiles but yesterday it happened again, a dog had an upchuck situation and it took hours to scrub that out of the carpet. With carpet tiles you can just swap one or two out if it's really bad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

There sure seems to be a lot of home-improvement questions posted here.

John

Maybe because there's a lot of DYI'ers here and there is no better group :-)

I know a real good NG but from Europe but that doesn't help with products and brands they don't have over there.

We do have a really good plumbing forum in the US, in case anyone has questions in that domain, major bathroom remodel and stuff like that:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Train your dog better, my dog usually eats it up again.......

Reply to
Dennis

Great site, as is:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Try alt.home.repair. It is still a pretty active group with a wide ranging group of people to answer almost all your questions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Since when does it take a herculean effort to clean up dog vomit- unless you've been giving the animal wine or something...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thanks, Bill!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, I've seen a dog do that. Yecch. Problem is the bile in there, it leaves that yellowish coloring which barely comes out even after umpteen vinegar solution applications.

But it's not always our dogs. Sometimes we take in puppies from a guide dog organization as sitters. They can be anywhere between a couple of months to 15 months old. They can be full of surprises so we want to be prepared.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

re

up

.

Hot water, scrub brush and shop vac? Perhaps some nice yellow and brown carpeting. :^)

After using the shop vac to clean up a morning sickness accident in her car, my wife told me of her dream the next night where the shop vac, "Came to the rescue", and sucked up all the monsters chasing her.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yup, we had a shop vac sitting in the middle of the living room for a whole day.

Oooh, maybe leave a light on at night? Monsters don't like lights :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Saturate spot with Oreck brand "No Return". Wait 24 hours then clean with a water-based carpet-cleaning machine (I have a cheapy Hoover I bought on Amazon). You'll never know it was there. ...Jim Thompson

Except ... if they put this &%#@!! recycling padding underneath that is orange colored a 24h soaker like that may result in a permanent faint-orange spot. That one is almost guaranteed not to come out. BT :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:58:23 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Have you ever considered stuffed dogs? Those do not make such a mess.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Those get growled at around here :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The "No Return" doesn't do that. ...Jim Thompson

Wow, got to try that. Saw it online, or do you have a major store chain where you buy it? Always concerned about mail-ordering liquid stuff because they drop it at the entrance, and our foxes my get into it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Here they have an Oreck store... across from Chandler Fashion Mall.

I first bought the dry powder (rotating wiper) type of carpet cleaner. That works fine for simple "traffic" dirt, but not so swift on doggy urine or cat barf ;-)

(Never had a problem with doggy urine until end-of-life health issues made them incontinent... they always made it thru the doggy door before.)

Are studying many reviews I bought the Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac (~$150) a couple of years ago. I basically use it for spot cleaning after the animals... and wine spills ;-) ...Jim Thompson

more

group

Thanks, their site shows one 16mi from here.

We lost our Rottweiler the day after Thanksgiving, his muscles gave up at age 13-1/2. All the way to his last day he never became incontinent, it was amazing. But he did need to go every 2-3h. I became so used to walking him (he couldn't make the back stairs into the yard anymore) that it turned into nice 10min walks.

We have a similar one. Works on fresh stains but not when you come home and find a 2h old "souvenir".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:21:22 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

But you could make eyes with green LEDs, and wag a tail with a small RC servo, use a PIC, and of course also use the soundcard to make those funny noises. It will probably work out cheaper than the real thing too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje