Re: Loud horn to scare squirrels

I've had it! I've put up all kinds of physical obstacles to prevent

> squirrels from getting to the bird feeder outside my study window, but

the

gymnastic squirrels keep outsmarting me and mastering the obstacles. > > I'd like to be able to push a button on my study desk when I see a

squirrel

climbing up to the feeder, and have an ear-splitting horn next to the

feeder

blast him. > > I've googled (actually froogled) horns, but don't know what I'm

seeing. I

would be grately deepful if you could recommend a relatively

inexpensive

setup. > > Thanks > Tim Carr

Seems like you can't post to the right places. This definitely wasn't for that .jobs NG. Xposted to sci.electronics.misc

First off, you have to get a natural predator of squirrels. I've never seen squirrels on campus at work because we have a nesting pair of hawks. This time of year they abandon the nest and let junior fend for himself. We see bits of critters laying around under the trees. Good riddance.

Another approach is to use your own enginuity. Try trapping the little thief. What to do with him when you catch him is another matter.

Maybe you could impeove your sharpshooting skills by using a BB gun.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Back in the day, "shooting squirrels" was a popular activity on campus.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Get a cat, or a dog that hates critters.

I have a cairn terrier that spends most of its time in the back yard. This dog chases up to anything or anyone that even approaches the yard. It is very territorial. It gets so agitated, that it charges the fence, and bites and pulls on the fence wires to try to get at the critter!

Nothing or anyone cuts in to our yard, especialy when this dog is around. If it is in the house, it starts having a fit if someone or something comes on to our property.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

campus.

When I went up north to Mammoth Lakes, My dad's friend's son took me to the dump to get some target practice on the rats.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Hawks also feed on the very birds the poster is trying to attract as well as small domestic animals. Besides, how does one invite a pair of hawks to nest near ones yard? Perhaps one can mount stuffed hawks near the feeder?

In the county where I live, it is illegal to trap squirrels unless you are licensed or they are inside your home.

That's the best idea yet

Reply to
Bingo

prevent

but

obstacles.

the

wasn't

never

for

Good

You build or buy an artificial nest for them. Duh.

/fsab_providing.shtml

[snip]

Or else put rodent poison out for the critters. I know that warfarin kills rats, but I don't know if there is a poison specific to squirrels.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Tim,

Check out the site

Look at the StrayBan product. Works on many other animals. Should work on squirrels too.

Peter

================ Bear Electronics

Peter

In the US, unrifled pistol barrels are illegal but you are allowed to own .45 LC breakopen guns that also chamber and fire the .410 shot shell. This is squirrel medicine if it ever was.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig