70V/100V horn speaker question.

Greetings group. Is it o.k. to use 100v horn speakers with a p.a. that only has a 70v output terminal?

Altronics sell a lot of 100v speakers, but I do not see any 70v types.

The amplifier has a power rating of 35W. If 100v speakers can be used, would they only need to be rated at 35W? Or would the wattage rating of 100v speakers need to be higher because they are being connected to the 70v output terminal?

Or could the wattage rating of 100v speakers be less than 35w when connected to the 70v output?

Thanking you, Russell Griffiths.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

wrote

** Yep - power will be down 50 % though.

** All have multi-tapped transformers, just divide the power tapping figures by 2 for 70 volt operation.
** Sure - but then you can only use one.
** Err - the other way around, if at all.
** Yes - see all those power ratings on the tappings !!

The important thing is the TOTAL power used by all speakers used must not exceed 35 watts, in your case.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for the reply Phil.

I was thinking about 2 c2059 horn speakers from Altronics.

If I understand you right, I can use 2 of these if I set the power selecter switch on both to 30W.

Because these speakers are 100v, and they will be connected to the 70v terminal, the power to each speaker will be 15W and not 30W.

Amp rating is 35W. Total power with both speakers = 30W.

Am I correct? Or have I misunderstood?

Thanks, Russell Griffiths.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

Thanks for the reply Phil.

** Spot on.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil. When using a typical speaker (4ohm, 8ohm etc.), the wattage of the speaker should be greater than the wattage of the amp.

But if I understand correctly, when using a 100v or 70v speaker, the wattage should be less than the wattage of the amp.

Is this correct?

Russell Griffiths.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

** Yes.

With line voltage systems, the max drive voltage is known ( 70v or 100v ) and the amp's power rating in watts is known.

Speakers have transformers attached that will allow only so much power to be absorbed from a given line voltage depending on the tap that is used.

The whole idea is to spread the available amp power across the desired number of speakers.

So, with a 35 watt amp you can have 7 x 5 watt speakers OR 35 x 1 watt speakers or any combinatition that adds to no more than 35 watts.

The other really cool thing is that you can use light gauge speaker wire and run it for long distances with little power loss.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Cheap, common Telephone or cat 5 wire works well for this - even if the speaker is hundreds of metres away, (I wouldn't try it for 100's of watts though, but 30w wouldn't be a problem).

I have also had installations in the past where we have had to have certain individual speakers in a 70v line remotely switched off, and by putting a SPST switch in one 70v line to the speaker to only cut one line, the speaker will still have some sound coming out of it (through leakage to earth back to the amp obviously) so I would speculate that even running a single wire to the 70v speaker, and using an earth (terra firma) return (as long as the other side of the

70v line is earthed back at the amp) would probably work if only one wire was available.
Reply to
KLR

"KLR"

** Kiddies, do not try this at home.