PSM-6 (military multimeter) battery replacement

Calling all military and ex-military electronics weenies..... Remember the "boat anchor" PSM-6 multimeter? So heavy that it should have come with a 'scope cart, but RUGGED. The test equipment we loved to hate.

I picked up one of these beasties, surplus, in the 80's and have used it continuously ever since. The battery died a while ago, so can't measure resistance. The battery in my particular meter might not be the correct one. It's marked BA-1085/U and is dual voltage with wire leads. Cylindrical, about 11/16" in diameter and 4 1/2" long. 1.3v and 13.0v

I'd like to replace with separate, easier to get batteries. Anyone work out - or know of - such a modification?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

get a simple AA (4) holder and a 9 volt clip. use one holder for the 1.5 volt side and the rest in series for the 13 volt how ever those voltages look kind of strange..

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

it

measure

correct

work

Judging by the voltages, I'd say that this is a battery consisting of mercury cells. They are now banned because of the mercury, so you really should consider finding an alternative. I would use a couple AA cells and a V boost circuit to get the 3V up to 13V, and then use a regulator to get the 1.3V.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Thanks for your input, Watson. I'm pretty sure the spent battery isn't the proper one for this meter; it was hardwired in. Voltages are close enough to measure resistance OK though. And it does fit into the battery bracket. There is _very_ little extra space inside the meter case, restricting the sizes and amounts of extra stuff any mod. might require.

The PSM-6 is a rugged workhorse, thousands of guys trained on it, and thousands of these meters are in the civilian market. I was hoping that at least one owner who has done - or knows of - a mod. would see my post.

Michael

Reply to
Michael