Yamaha SPX50D Battery Replacement

I have an old Yamaha SPX50D effects unit that is giving me a Low Battery message. Not surprising given it's age. The battery is the typical CRxxxx disc type but the connectors as spot welded? on to it covering up the battery part number. Does anyone know what battery this takes? I've been searching to no avail.

Reply to
stoneattic

These are the most comon types:

?N=500005+1001313+213616&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=lithium+coin+cell&Ntx=&_requestid=365630

There are several variants, some with only 2 connectors, some with different pin spacing etc. They solder onto the PCB, those spot welded connections are part of the battery.

Most audio manufacturers use 3volt 2032 type lithium coin cells, this is what you should be looking for.

If you really want to make sure you get a drop in replacement, get one from Yamaha.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

types:

Thanks, I'll try a 2032. I'm not worried about it being a drop in replacement. I'll make it "fit". I just want to be sure that I use the correct battery.

Reply to
stoneattic

?N=500005+1001313+213616&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=lithium+coin+cell&Ntx=&_requestid=365630

Yamaha got back to me and indeed you are correct, it is a CR2032. They gave me a part number to order from them for $6.66US. I'm going to put a socket in while I'm there and just use a regular battery but it's nice to know that they respond quickly and still support their older products.

Reply to
stoneattic

?N=500005+1001313+213616&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=lithium+coin+cell&Ntx=&_requestid=365630

different

connections

from

Yours probably has the original battery. Solder in a new one, it will give you at least another 5 years, if you think you will still be using it then.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 20:11:44 -0700 (PDT), stoneattic put finger to keyboard and composed:

AFAIK, CRxxyy batteries are 3V lithium types where ..

xx = diameter in mm yy = thickness in 10ths of mm

For example, a CR2032 is a 3V lithium battery, 20mm in diameter and

3.2mm thick.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar