Pioneer plasma turns off

Pioneer PDP-V401 40-inch plasma will run OK for hours or minutes and then turn itself off. The warmer it is the shorter the period. Only cycling the power switch will restore function. (It doesn't power on automatically after cooling.)

The unit seems very much *not* overly hot when it powers off. I'd say it's well within operating temps.

I can't watch it always, but the displayed image seems to be OK.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar Pioneer plasmas (or access to the service manual) that can say what triggers the auto shut-off? Is it PS voltage fluctuation? Or heat?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net

Add two fans to the backside running at half speed.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You had the same problem with this model?

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Probably not but the intent was a little advice on how to trouble shoot these kind of issues and it can be done with any FPD plasma or otherwise. Blow some air into the the back and see if the shutdown persists then report back.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Will report results.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

I just now powered it on for the first time this morning and it turned off immediately. Turning it on again, it remains running, for now.

I'll run it all day with extra fans, but does that first turn-off suggest anything?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Suggests that it could fail completely at any time. This could be beneficial as I always hated things that I had to wait on or heat or cool or vibrate etc....

Whatever the cause, the fact that it fails during the current inrush of starting the set and/or after an indeterminate length of time, is often a real bitch to locate until it dies altogether. But sometimes we have to wait until that occurs even at the ever present risk of collateral damage.

My suggestion is to wait until that moment if it is your personal set or explain this to your customer. In the mean time, arm yourself with service literature and wait for the inevitable unless you have the time to waste on it.

This is all contingent however upon the fact that the set operates pretty much normally other than it shuts down randomly (except for the obtaining service literature part.)

Good luck, sometimes you need it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Check for Bad Capacitors on the power board. On some cheaper units, I've seen them blown. On the better units, the capacitors do not blow up, but start bulging. Check out Badcapsfourm.com for more info.

Reply to
Rastamon

Specifically, I'm asking what safety function the firmware in this model (or other similar age Pioneer) performs. Does excessive PS voltage trigger a shut-down? High temp? I know that at least one other Pioneer model, if temps get high, the firmware kicks the fans into hi-speed.

Thanks.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

I had planned to go through the PS and check the ERS of the filter caps.

Is this a potential cause of the shut-down? Or is this simply a cause for the SMPS to stop?

FYI, LEDs on some of the PCBs remain lit when the display and fans go off.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Relay contacts? have you measured the voltages on the psu secondary? also try turning on with a multimeter clipped on, see if there's fluctuation.A schematic would help you see if any resistors have gone high. check eserviceinfo.

-B

I removed the back of the monitor and set a 20" window box fan right behind it on low (even low pushes lots of air). The monitor still powers off after hours (or sometimes minutes), seemingly random.

The only thing that changed the symptom is this: Mounted to the rear cover is a small "distribution" PCB into which all 5 cooling fans (2-inch) are plugged. When I pulled off the rear cover, I unplugged the cable. When I turned on the power, the monitor ran for about 10 seconds then shut off. The same LED (labelled "PD") lights on the PS when this happens (this LED is off during normal operation; it only turns on when this error condition occurs). With the fan cable plugged in the monitor resumes its random failure behavior (it will turn off eventually).

Each of the 5 fans is plugged into this small PCB. I unplugged each fan -- no change, even with all 5 unplugged. Only when the cable from the monitor to the fan PCB is unplugged does the monitor shut down.

The pins on the fan connector are labeled:

  • 10.5/12 V
  • GND
  • P.D. This tells me that the fans are operated in 2-speed mode: 10.5 V, normally, and 12 V when things get too warm. PD must be a status signal. When it's missing, the monitor shuts off.

Ideas?

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

en

the

t's

it

ve

ut

2nd that. Last year 3 of us replaced 10,000 caps in broadcast gear. It's an extremely common failure and VERY aggravated by heat. Panasonic FM and FC series through hole and FK for surface mount recommended. Nichicon PW also very good. Many of these show no sign of bulge / leak but test bad with an ESR test.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Indeed. While some do, majority of the bad caps _don't_ give any visible signs. So ESR measuring is required to tell the condition of caps. Even capacitance measurement doesn't tell the truth.

See more about ESR and its measuring here:

And btw, yes, the bad caps are the most likely problem in the set.

-- Top-posting not supported.

Reply to
Simoc

Yeah, I'm probably headed for a mass cap-ectomy. I count 50 caps and I can't even see all the PCBs yet...

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Get a serviceman manual.

Reply to
Meat Plow

First step, you need to look at the standby and power leds on the front bezel of the set and see if they reports a shut down error code by way of led flashes. For eg, the PDP-433PE service manual states;

"7.1.2 SHUT DOWN/POWER DOWN DIAGNOSIS BY LED DISPLAY When internal circuit abnormality and other operation abnormality occurred from this unit, self-diagnose display function by STANDBY/ON (LED) indicator is loaded. Each NG point by LED blinking and a PD (power down) point are as follows SHUT DOWN Operations : When a microcomputer detects abnormality, it turns the power supply to OFF. LED display : Green blinks Number of blinks Name

1 Panel Microcomputer NG 2 DIGITAL-IIC communication NG 3 Dewdrop abnormality 4 Temperature abnormality

POWER DOWN (PD) Operations : When this unit becomes the dangerous state, turn the power supply OFF with the protection circuit. LED display : Red blinks Number ofblinks Name

1 Y-DRIVE 2 Y-DC/DC CONVERTER 3 X-DC/DC CONVERTER 4 X-DRIVE 5 Power supply 6 Address junction 7 Address resonance 8 DIGITAL-DC/DC CONVERTER

How to release the power down state AC power OFF $B"-(B Wait for PD LED in the power supply module disappearing (for around 30 seconds). $B"-(B Afterwards, wait moreover for five seconds. $B"-(B Return by AC power ON.

  • After power down release, this unit rises up in the standby state."

The manuals have more elaborate details that you need to go through, you surely need 1 else you'd be groping in the dark, dont go changing caps blindly praying for a miracle.. You could try sharefx.com for the service manual. You need to register and share a few before getting anyone to share with you ( like napster or a regular p2p) I offer to try on your behalf should your request be ignored. Let me know.

Jango

Reply to
jango2

Thanks.

I understood everything except what to do to release the power down state. Some of the text didn't translate very well. See what I mean:

So you can see what it looks like to me.

Can you maybe try again and type those few lines of instructions without copying & pasting?

Thanks.

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

Seems lke they mean - pull out the mains cord and wait 40 secs before powering up.Any luck with the service manual?

Reply to
jango2

If I were you I would throw a bowling ball through it and forget about T.V. all together. In 2000, I had a bad day at work. So I got home and saw the T.V. was tuned to MTV. So I went upstairs, got a bowling ball, and threw it through the screen and broke it. Then I took the bowling ball and threw it at the cabinet, and broke that and finished off the circuit board with it. I threw the T.V. pieces in the trash. My 27 inch T.V. was 6 inches tall when I was done with it, no higher than the speakers. I have not watched a minute of television since (unless it was in a resturant or at work) and don't miss it. I don't miss Judge Shyster or some jagoff pretending to be a doctor. Nor do I miss the same 9 movies and same 50 tv shows ran ad nauseum. I canceled cable, and when they asked me why I want to cancel cable I told them I had not receive another bill from them and hung up the fone. They did call me one day and asked if I would like to reactivate my cable subscription so I put the fone next to my ass and cut the loudest fart they have ever heard.

I half way through eating a gallon of Anderson's French Vanilla ice cream when the doorbell rang so I opened the door and it was these young kids and they were offering me satellite T.V. service. It was the combo or bundle (you know fone, t.v. and internet rip off). I told them, "Let me get my checkbook" and I shut the door. I took a shit in my hand, opened the door, and threw the turd at them and told them that if they ever came back to my house, I would kick there asses.

With the money I am not spending on cable T.V., I can spend it on things I truly enjoy. I have bought a bunch of oreos and twinkies and used them to fill up the void of space once left by my 27 incvh T.V.

Reply to
Anonymous