phone charger - curious.

Hi all,

By no means am I an electronic guru but I was wondering about something I've noticed. When I charge my phone at home on the mains charger, it doesnt take nearly as long as it does to charge in the car. Why is this? (is it just me?)

McK.

Reply to
McKev

I've

take

Different chargers diffrent charge rates.

Reply to
CWatters

But doesnt the phone accept only the one voltage/current etc?

Reply to
McKev

It will most likely 'accept' only one voltage and current, but in actual fact can take a range that varies probably a volt or two either way. And a fraction of an amp either way too. Some chargers give slightly more voltage than others, some give slightly more current. Even the exact same type of charger for the same item can have ratings that vary within x% of the specified. Plus theres the fact your using chargers intended for different sources. Could be that the car charger has a limiter in it so it won't drain the battery if you forget to unplug it for a day. Whereas the mains charger doesn't need anything like that, it probably only has something to cut it off when the charging appears to have replenished the battery, and does that as fast as possible.

McKev wrote:

Reply to
Neodemi

Some of the after-market car chargers err on the side of caution. They are worried about blowing up batteries. But yeah, different chargers different rates.

Here in the states, most phones are supplied with a mains charger and no auto charger - for that you either pay extra or get a cheap generic one.

default