[OT] ATX Power Supply

Hi There,

If this is off topic, please forgive me.

I just bought a 430 Watts ATX power supply to replace the one (300Watts) that's been smoked out. I noticed the newly bought ATX PS comes with two jacks to connect to the mobo, i.e. 20-prongs jack, and an additional 4-prong jack. I believe the newly bought PS is a new standard ATX PS whereas the one I have which is about 4 years old is not a standard one. The old one was taken out from an ATX box that hosts an Asus KM7V (IIRC) mobo with an AMD Athlon 500MHz CPU. Since the old one is fried, I am wondering if this new one can be used to replace the old one so I can still use the computer. Mind you, both new and old 20-prong jack are identical, except there is some color different in its wires. I would appreciate if anyone out here can help.

Thanks.

-- Mazi

Reply to
Mazi

"Mazi" schreef in bericht news:gmXAd.285456$V41.55278@attbi_s52...

Well Mazi,

Question seems straight on topic to me. As for the extra 4-prong jack just leave it alone. This one is meant for MOBOs that requires the extra power and has a connector for it on board. The new ATX 2.2 spec has a 24-prongs jack in which an extra 5V, 12V, 3.3V and GND are incorporated.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

AMD

new

Hi Petrus,

Thanks for your quick response. From what I gathered, you meant I can just replace the old PS with this new one mainly because the 20-prong connectors (jacks) on the old and new PSs are identical, i.e they both have the same voltage rating and won't burn my mobo.

-- Mazi

Reply to
Mazi

Reply to