PC power supply.

I have an Acorn computer still in use for news and email etc - no possibility of viruses etc. And a superb newsreader.

However, the PS failed in a big way - lots of components burnt out. I have a spare, but it is of lower power so can't run all the extras I've fitted over the years.

It's a simple PS - only +/-12 and 5 volts.

Now ATX etc PS are cheap as chips but won't fit the case due to the size/shape. The original is long and thin.

Glancing through the website of a large UK electronics supplier I came across one which would fit physically - I believe it's a TFX type and had plenty of power in reserve for my application.

So I bought one and although the main Molex connector was the same as my 'real' PC - a 20 pin with a four clipped on (ATX2?) the wire colours were rather different. The mains outputs were the normal red for 5 etc, but the control ones different. For example the switch pin - 14 - is normally green. No green wire anywhere. This one had a grey wire to it - and where the standard grey is to pin 8 this one has orange. ;-)

But grounding pin 14 got it going - so I'm just curious. Did they run out of wire or is it to some standard I've not heard of?

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to