Need microscope for IC inspection

Dear readers,

I work as distributor of electronic components. To recognize used ICs (also called "Pulls" or "Refurbs") I need a microscope, which enables me to better see scratches on the surface, bent leads, tin traces, etc.

Do you have any recommendations about what kind of microscope is well suited for this purpose and where to buy?

Best regards Nima

Reply to
Nima Rezai

It depends on what you want to spend...

Things to look for are:

- Working distance

- Brightness

- Clearness

- When switching magnification, does the focus keep the same ...

Judging from your domain, you might live near Nuernberg. At the SMT Nuernberg (Apri 19-21) you will probably have a chance to through a lot of different types and get a feeling for the prices and the pro and cons of the different types.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

(also

better

suited

Something like this works for packaged devices...

But perhaps not this particular model

CWatters

I'd think a binocular microscope with dual objective is great. Lower magnification, but a good 3D view. In biology these are used for dissecting insects.

Celestron # 4040 Electric Illuminated Dissecting Stereo Binocular Microscope is one I found.

Do get a real binocular that gives a 3D view, not one with a single objective and a light splitter halfway the body.

I also notice a SZ30 by Olympus. More expensive, but a zoom and including illumination. Made for manual IC bonding it seems.

Google for binocular microscope stereo zoom olympus.. I have no experience with the zooms, but the binoculars were sure great in biology to make other students squirm at the huge insects they'd see in 3D.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

I can only agree with this. Although we're using the binocular for soldering I think it's a really good choice for IC inspection.

We're using two Nikon SMZ-645 microscopes (real stereo, zoom 8x~50x) & we are really happy with them,

Hope this helps, greetings.

Reply to
mcesar