Motion (or Infrared?) detectors for lights or electronics?

Hi, I can't imagine this hasn't been asked before but I couldn't find any other similar postings. I am trying to find some sort of gadgets that that one can plug electronics (or screw in between bulbs and sockets) into that will turn on when someone enters a room and stay on until they leave the room (might not work so great for a bedroom but seems useful for other rooms).

Does anyone out there know of such gadgets and where I can find them? Any help would really be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Reply to
gaikokujinkyofusho

Have a look for "PIR Detectors" Used in lighting and burglar alarm systems !

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Use their wireless motion detectors and plug-in or wired switches.

The no-motion off time can from about 1 minute to about 30 minutes.

Doesn't work quite as well if your spouse falls asleep in front of the TV ;-)

Reply to
John

Actually, the "off time" can be set between 1 and 256 minutes -

1,24,8,16,32,64,128,256 to be specific

Use one motion sensor per area, one x10 module per device you want turned on, and one rf receiver per 8 motion sensors, if you stick with std x10 stuff..

The reason you only get 8 with 16 devices on a single house code, is that the motion sensor uses device+1 for dark/light indication.

So, if you set the moti> >

Reply to
AZ Woody

Hopefully the people will move about, because otherwise the motion detector won't see them.

Also, "screw into sockets" means the socket must have a view of the people.

I've used switches that replace the normal light switch and give "off/on/auto" positions. They work well, but again replacing the switch means the switch needs to have a view of the people in the room.

The X10 products mentioned help a little bit because they seperate the motion detector from the light and from the manual control of that light. But they are a bit more complex and some people have issues making them work like they are supposed to function.

I've not seen any "plug into" style, but they wouldn't be hard to make. (Possibly starting with a cheap motion detecting floodlight from the discount store and an electrical box plus an extension cord. Cut the cord, wire it and the floodlight motion sensor into the box. Use the "plug" end of the cord for power, and use the socket aka receptacle end of the cord instead of the light sockets from the floodlight kit.)

This whole idea is "occupancy detection" and it ranges from simple and cheap to very complex and expensive. You get to pick based upon what you can afford and how accurate you need it to be.

A starting point is

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com