Miniature motion detectors exist?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if anyone has come across a miniature motion detector of some sort that is small and can be easily hidden. Up to 3 metres in range is fine, and I'm not too concerned about angle and it doesn't need to be body heat activated. It won't be hooked up to an alarm system or anything, but just for personal use to alert me if someone approaches it. By the way, I am not interested in LDR circuits as they are too sensitive to light changes. Neither am I interested, really, in anything requiring reflectors or anything on the other end of the "beam".

Any suggestions?

Cheers Jason.

Reply to
Jason S

Try here

3 connections 5V,0V,signal

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris,

I think you have solved my problem, and I might add that the website looks quite interesting too (might find other nice gadgets there too!). If anyone has any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

Thanks again.

Jason.

Reply to
Jason S

Depends a lot on the situation. We've used microwave motion detectors above a ceiling to detect personnel below. Ceiling sheet didn't attenuate too much.

Reply to
budgie

Yes, I've seen those earlier today. A.k.a "ultrasonic detectors". I think these would work well actually! I've found that Jaycar Electronics and lots of other places sell them, and the sensitivity can be changed easily, and they're not too expensive.

Thanks Jason.

Reply to
Jason S

BZZZZZT! Wrong. microwave ultrasonic.

Ultrasonic would have serious problems passing (twice) through ceiling board.

Reply to
budgie

True. But in my scenario, the "ultrasonics" would just be placed somewhere below the ceiling like under a bench top, so it wouldn't be passing through ceiling board anyway. Thanks for the correction. As you can tell, I'm not exactly an expert at motion detectors.

Reply to
Jason S