A question on Music CD

I am not sure if this question is going to the right group, but some of you might be able to give useful answer.

When you play a CD, why can't the title of the track be displayed on the CD player, instead of having to use the CD case. or us it, maybe it can be done and the manufactures are too lazy to use the system.

If it can not be done, I am sure it would not be a difficult task to achieve.

Reply to
Eric

CD-text! Look at Sony CD players. I would have liked them to have added this to their DVD range also!

Have a look at things like Nero that allow to you add CD-text to a music CD. Not very many CD-text CD get created, even from the ones from Sony!

you

CD

done

Reply to
Anthony Preston

probably wasnt thought of at that time. For one, people were probably glad at the time just to have digital audio, and having the playing time count up on the display as it played, and also the manufacturers probably didnt want the expense of alphanumeric displays in the CD players.

Biggest problem of all here is of course that the record industry is a government protected monopoly and wouldn't be innovative or move with the times even if its life depended on it. We should consider ourselves lucky that we ever got to have the CD :)

if you want this however, use winamp or such on your PC. it connects back to a database online and works out the track and artist names of almost all CDs based on the playing times of the tracks. bit inconvenient, but dont know of other ways.

Reply to
KLR

If you want to experiment a little with CD-TEXT but you don't have a CD player capable of displaying it you might want to try the free download of a CD TEXT reader for your PC from -

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge iinet.net.au>"

you

Free download of an EVALUATION version of a commercial product. Lets not be like politicians!

Reply to
Lord Garth

And your problem with this is?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge iinet.net.au>"

of

be

Not a problem, just that it isn't 'free'.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Well it's free to try. :) For the purpose of the exercise of reading CD-TEXT without a player. Included the link purely for experimentation on the OP's part. Nothing more.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge