Long monitor warmup

I've got a 20" Dell Trinitron CRT screen thats about 7 years old. Its been going great until December when it started to take about 10 minutes to warm up. Well now its up to almost half an hour.

Here's what happens: I push the power button (its a hard on/off; not a standby); the green LED comes on and it degausses. It is then pitch black (you know how normally when it is black it still has a some output.. not anymore). It will remain pitch black without any sign that is alive (aside from the LED) for about half an hour, then it suddenly comes to life in the span of 20 seconds (from pitch black to a bright vibrant image).

If it flicks off into power standby mode even for a second (like when you reboot for example), it will then be black for another 10 minutes before it fades the image in (once again, 10mins of pure black, then a 20 second warm up).

I don't think the tube is worn out since once its finished warming up it works as well as day one.. I'm guessing its something to do with the electronics.. any ideas what it may be?

Thanks in advance!

-Dan snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (rem.ove no junk mail)

Reply to
DS

warm

the

it

warm

Oop, forgot to mention it has a built in test thing where it displays the color bars. It does the exact same thing for the test: takes 30 mins to warm up, then the color bars fade in about 20 secs.

Reply to
DS

look for bad solder joints in area's that get warm. also could be a bad cap.

DS wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Look for any possible cold solder connections, and test for any defective parts that have probably become thermo sensitive with age. It is possible that the tube is also very worn from age.

Personally, I would be looking for a new monitor, rather than investing time and money on a 7 year old one!

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG ==========================

[...]

Jerry G.

hmm.. let me come clean here: I've played around with electronics before-- making circuits (mainly simple digital stuff), but I've never really played much with complex analog systems.. so when you say bad capacitor, could you be a bit more specific as to which capacitor I'm looking for (ie an electrolytic or a ceramic disc), a rough idea of how many micro (or pico) farads it would probably be, and whether it would be on the high voltage or low voltage side of things? What would the function be of the capacitor in this context be? Any other pointers would also be appreciated! A repair faq or something similar would be fantastic :-)

I have played around with some high voltage stuff before like a jacobs ladder, and frankensteining camera flash units to large capacitor banks for some fun, so I know the ground rules and dangers when tinkering around with CRTs.

I'm thinking it probably is a bad capacitor as opposed to a solder joint since it would make more sense as to why it is taking longer to turn on as time passes (the capacitor holding less of a charge). A bad solder joint probably wouldn't get progressively worse.

Thanks for the response Jamie!

-Dan

Reply to
DS

message

before--

played

could you

pico)

voltage or

capacitor in

repair faq

You should post this to sci.electronics.repair, and check

for a whole bunch of info on troubleshooting and repair of viceo monitors.

banks for

with

joint

on as