CRT Monitor Philips black screen when cold

Hallo! My CRT monitor, Philips 109B, has black screen after 2 seconds when it is cold: the picture becomes bigger and fades away. If I turn it off and turn on, the picture again becomes bigger and fades out. When it is warm, after 20-30 minutes, if I turn it off and turn on, the screen appears and works very good. Could it be a cap? Thank you! S.

Reply to
Steinway

Get your solder iron out and start cleaning up those joints..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

is

If the picture is changing X and Y dimensions then an acceleration voltage is playing up, reducing magnitude leading to increasing dimensions but fading image

Reply to
N_Cook

bad cap in the flyback xfmr

Reply to
circuit

"Steinway" wrote in news:4d4439d7$0$2045$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.news.tin.it:

Junk it! It's time to upgrade to a flatscreen.

A new flatscreen twice as big as the CRT and a hundred kilos lighter costs half as much as fixing the old CRT.

Reply to
Fred

Depends how much it costs to fix the CRT. If it's a bad cap, it might be obvious which one just by looking at it (bulging top and/or leaking), and the fix, excluding the OP's time, may cost a few dollars.

The OP should of course make sure he's aware of the hazards associated with CRTs even when there's no power applied.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Sylvia Else" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

In fact I'd like to repair it myself, without OP's time - if I can't repair it, I buy another monitor :)

Reply to
Steinway

"circuit" ha scritto nel messaggio news:ii2ce4$d6h$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org...

Thank you!

Reply to
Steinway

I'm confused, or perhaps just befuzzled. Aren't you the OP (original poster)?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Sylvia Else" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Yes, I am the original poster, Steinway!

Reply to
Steinway

Sylvia Else wrote in news:8qkkteFd62U1 @mid.individual.net:

OP's savings in electric bill ALONE justifies buying the new LCD, even if he can fix it for free.

Reply to
Fred

That depends on how much use it gets.

Teflon coated.