life span durable ground based 'satellite' device.

I'm developing an electronic device in order to collect and store a wide range of sensory (imagery, sound) data of an outdoor environment

This device will be installed in a remote area, high on a building (no power lines) so it has to be self sufficient in energy supply. Because of this remoteness, self maintenance and the not always so electronic friendly conditions outside (rain, snow, heath of sunlight etc.) I see it as a sort of ground based 'satellite' and as far as I can see/feel (Hey... I'm a total novice) it also has to be constructed similar to a satellite.

Everyday, for only a short period of time (a few seconds) it starts up to collect the sensory the readings, which, to my latest estimates, will take no more than 5 watts of power.

I'm not a professional engineer (but I'll get some help from a few) so excuse me if I say things that are a little awkward or not that bright.

To provide the device with sufficient and long term energy, I'm thinking to use about a square meter of a high efficiency solar cells.

My goal is to collect and store the data and keep the device running over a long as possible amount of time, counting in years. What can be said about a maximum life span?

Is the power source the main limiting factor just for example like the

30 year old space based satellite as Voyager and Pioneer which run on radioactive decay reactors but if the electronics/transmitters will not break down, will function and transmit data till the 2030's!

Or are there other life span limiting issues like decay of materials (for now I'll use a welded a Zinc casket filled with Argon (prevents oxidation inside)).

A lot of weather conditions affect the efficiency of solar cells. seasons, temperature, angle of sunlight etc.

.

But I've read, at the same website I believe, that the life span and power generating properties are between 35-45 years!(?)

Besides of solar cells are there any other durable long life energy sources which can be used?

Thank you for your attention and every comment is appreciated!

Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
alphacentauri

This would only work if there one or more high-power (>5 kW) commercial broadcasting stations are nearby: A broadly tuned full-wave long-wire antenna, a bridge of low-loss diodes, a "supercapacitor" (low-loss, low voltage, very high capacitance...>1 F). Idea is to collect power from the air. The more RF in the area, the better. Usually only good for a few milliamps at a time, but enough to charge a battery of arbitrary size. Your low duty-cycle application seems ideal for this.

Possible drawbacks? You are dependent on the commercial broadcasters' schedule(s). You are at the mercy of direct and indirect (coupled) lightning strikes on your long-wire antenna. Hard to tell if it will work until installed in the actual site.

Reply to
webpa