Power-efficient design

I'm planning a to build a solar-powered robot. Efficient solar cells, motors and electronics will of course be required. Efficiency has never been much of a concern in my previous hobby projects.

Can anyone suggest any good books / papers / websites / whatever on power-efficient electronic and mechanical design? It's not just low-power, as I'll have around 0.5 sq ft. of solar panels, so at least a couple of watts to play with (during full sunlight), but I want to make the most of that power.

Tim

--
Guns Don?t Kill People, Rappers Do.
Reply to

Horowitz and Hill - 'The Art of Electronics' has a chapter on low power design. More meant for ultra low power battery powered devices though.

Bear in mind that the rated output of solar panels is against a standard value for light input (1 kW/m^2) - actual light level might be a lot less than that. I think you only get close to that level at noon on the equator on a clear day.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
andy