Is it possible to simulate ac signal with dc?..tia sal

Hmm, and i thought that is what the sound card does already ?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

One problem with some of these discussions is that there are two definitions of DC. One has DC as any signal always of the same polarity, another requires DC to have the same value throughout time.

DC with a varying voltage but always the same polarity can of course be changed to AC by running the signal through a capacitor.

Another problem I have seen whose argument reduces to the above is a pulse width modulated signal but always of the same polarity (if you can call zero volts a polarity- however, to overcome this problem one can consider a PWM signal from a small fraction of a volt to many volts).

Another argument I have seen rage from the PWM situation is whether a PWM signal is analog or digital :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Answering the practical question of a newbie with this type of hypothetical/metaphysical nonsense is...... Well, garbage.

I wonder if these considerations of DC began with the musings of some complete idiot, or some idiot with a phd attempting to think outside the box (an incomplete idiot).

Reply to
Don Bowey

No, I think that this thread is finally onto what the original poster wanted to know. i.e. does the voltage of the centre pin of the phono connector stay above the ground connection or does the voltage alternate between say -1v and +1v. Both of these would generate an audio signal but only one would be true AC, the other would be pulsed DC.

Having said that, I still don't have an answer to the original poster's question.

Reply to
Geoff R

You attributed the post to me, but I didn't write any part of it.

Since I don't recall the original question, I have no comments.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

I went back and read the complete thread and looked through the patent file.

Here are my few comments:

The apparatus called for in the application requires both a Carrier frequency that will vary in the range of 200 Hz. to 200 kHz., and a Modulating frequency which will vary in the range of 20 Hz. To 200 Hz. Obviously, an AM modulator is required, as is a Power Amplifier. Beyond that it is all adaptive of frequencies and wave-shapes such that they can be altered by the gas conversion process.

There is nothing in the computer's sound card that will enable the gas conversion process.

Yes, your sound card puts out an AC signal (tones and whatever).

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey