ICD 2 for PIC12F509

I'm trying to program/debug an 8 pin PIC12F509 (8 pin version with 8 DIP packaging) with the AC162059 header. The MPLAB IDE claims that the

chip is there, and I try and program it and it all claims that it was sucessfull...when in fact the pic wasn't even in the socket. Also, it seems to "simulate" the chip wihout the chip in there. When I try and download the file registers while in debug mode there is a bunch of garbage. Another thing is when I program it and click "verify" the MPLAB claims that the chip is correctly programmed (again with no pic in the socket). Also it seems to remember it I erased the chip or not and will indicate wether or not it is blank as if there was a PIC in the socket...all of course without anything in the socket. Is this thing busted or am I missing something fundamental. Perhaps it's the way this thing operates. Also, when I place the PIC in the socket...the voltage on the positive pin goes way too low. This is all

while I have the 9 volt additional power plugged in. And, also I get this error no matter what operation I'm doing...and even if the chip is

in there...:

"ICDWarn0044: Target has an invalid calibration memory value (0x0). Continue?"

Any ideas?

Reply to
jimbo